125.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are super nice! Is it me or does the flaking look more pronounced (don't know if that's the word) but I love they way they are flaked. Is that where the heat treated comes into play?

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of points ..Congrats..

OP
OP
Dirt fishing Wolf

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are super nice! Is it me or does the flaking look more pronounced (don't know if that's the word) but I love they way they are flaked. Is that where the heat treated comes into play?
I have found lots of redish color flakes and no large rock of that color. I guess the heat treating would take several days to treat. I need to learn more about it, and try to do the fire treatment myself. I'm finding most of my points where I find the heat treated chert flakes.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not there's actually moisture within the stone heat treating removes that moisture and allows the percussion wave to travel more efficiently through it therefore making it easier to flake and actually more predictable so more controllably flaked

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turning the dirt is always a good thing. Mostly no till here now. They sprayed the fields last week to kill the grass but haven't touched them since. On the heat treated subject here they do burn the fields every once in a while and it will change the color of them just being hot in the soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions