people questioning finds (north american artifacts)

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. Recently I've come across finds in a couple areas and because I'm a "newbie" and because of the amount of finds in a short amount of time that I've found on top of the fact that others have been hunting the same areas for years makes people question my finds. I see where they are coming from, but I try explaining that it really only takes a handful of dirt to hide something like an arrowhead/tool/worked object for many, many years. I bust my ass searching for these artifacts and I feel when I find these things they are legit without a doubt, but I also see where they come from. Their opinion (I know they are like *******s, everybody has one) is that who's to stop someone from making their own and just spreading them out in an area known to artifact hunters? I understand sites, ruins, burials and whatnot have been overrun by amateur artifact hunters since wayyyy before my time, it just makes me wonder sometimes with the amount of finds on top of the variety of finds.
perhaps I'm overthinking the subject and there is way more out there to find than has been found, but...

My question is, have you come across people like this? and How do you go about explaining it? ( without being a professional archaeologist ) maybe a lot of people who hunt are more knowledgeable on the subject and maybe no matter what you do haters will be haters, but it still lingers.

???

Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met some of my best friends in this hobby, and also a couple of, well lets just say interesting individuals as well, and people not into the hobby do seem to have some disbelief when you find something good, and usually there response is "wow you still find things after all these thousands of years? Its understandable.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sad to hear about that, it only happened once to me (that I know of) back in 2013 when I was a newbie. I was posting that Cal. Gold coins I found in an old car years ago and people were questioning that I really found them. I found out that they were hidden in that car by my crazy uncle years ago and he forgot about them, the car was scrapped a couple years ago, I had to take the hood emblem though before it was scrapped though :). I believe you though, with a 10,000 year window that those could be dropped many could accumulate in one field.

S

stefen

I do not get attached to any item's . .. I am not a collector or hoarder ... And like i said before there are a lot on here that do not tell what they find ... And there is more to Tnet than telling about your finds... To each his own i do my thing you do yours ...

Totally agree. I am far from being a beginner, yet like you, I'll do my thing and others can do theirs. I have found a great number of items, including Native American relics from central Ohio. Some I have given to one if my grandsons...others I'm keeping, maybe to sell if I have duplicates or maybe if it's not very interesting to keep. Infrequently do I discuss my finds with others unless it's a friend who has the same interests.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying Tnet is about showcasing finds, I have learned probably more on this site than anywhere just from reading post comments. I've been using this site mostly as a reference and notice people take interest in the glimpse of history in the comfort of their home and enjoy learning about what I find because even with all the resources out there to identify objects its not always clear cut. I find this topic/hunt interesting because I enjoy history, not because I'm showing off. I keep these objects in my home and friends and family are curious, people ask questions and its what leads to topics like this. Funny thing is the people claiming to be hush hush on finds keep mentioning the word 'sell'. You feel the the need to hide the history that's already been hidden for centuries, I take advantage of the technology we have today to show a little bit of that history and to learn something, which I do every single time I get on this site. You are right though, to each their own.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy finding something that hasn't been found since it was lost 100s to 1000s of years ago. To be able to pick it up being that old is a big thrill to me. I have to admit which is a bad habit by the way if I think it is real good I will pop it in my mouth like a hard candy to wash it off just so I can see it rite away. haha

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The will to discover is age old... wanting to share newly discovered "treasures" from the past with anyone who is interested and shares at least some excitement in those kinds of things is the norm... Being reclusive and "unfeeling" about these type things just seems odd to me honestly.
To each their own though

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you rock because even though rain exposes them cleaning them is like looking at a whole new rock, so I spit all over mine when I get them :headbang:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone carry water?
I always have a water bottle

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least we're not talking about loosening points frozen to the ground... Eeeww

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be at that point this coming spring haha. I was walking fields this past spring and if anyone here is from central new york, they know what kind of snow we got this past year :unhappysmiley:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be at that point this coming spring haha. I was walking fields this past spring and if anyone here is from central new york, they know what kind of snow we got this past year :unhappysmiley:

News flash for you. For some reason I know here if the soil gets real cold the rocks will come to the top. I have no idea why but it happens in my back yard every year during winter. So that being said artifacts do the same if they are made of stone.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have been collecting for about 12 years and flint knapping for around 5 years. I have been fortunate to find some really nice artifacts, clovis, bone awl, many metates, milk crate full of two side mano's and a rock the size of a basketball with a hole that goes thru top to bottom. It is a funnel with a 6 inch opening at the top and a 2 inch opening at the bottom, a mortar. That was a great find.

I have an arrowhead that is so perfect, very thin, with serrated edges that when I showed it to one of the best knappers around, he all but said it was modern. My wife found that in the middle of know where on the desert under a bush. He declared it was the best arrowhead artifact he had seen.

I find that most people could care less about our hobby and my knapping hobby except people that like to do it. I guess that is the way it is.

I don't post photo's of the things we have found because I don't know how to and don't care to learn.

It was finding my first arrowhead that got me interested in learning flint knapping. having been a bow hunter for 50 years I thought if they could do it ,so could I so I learned how and have taken one deer with one of my stone points.

Captain, You posted on a place where everyone believes you and likes to see or read about your finds.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
News flash for you. For some reason I know here if the soil gets real cold the rocks will come to the top. I have no idea why but it happens in my back yard every year during winter. So that being said artifacts do the same if they are made of stone.

It's because water expands when it freezes..it takes up more space so all the moisture in the frozen soil forces objects to move

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I like this site. Someone has a smart answer(to me) , then someone has a smarter answer. Maybe its basic geology, but I learn something. Not everyone can afford to go to college and be professors 8-) OK I'm done ruffling feathers, thanks for the replies guys.

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's because water expands when it freezes..it takes up more space so all the moisture in the frozen soil forces objects to move

Yes.... the earth is constantly "percolating."

--Guy

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
People see us looking for artifacts, flipping rocks, studying them, walking for hours staring at the ground, ext... Their thought is "must have no life". From the outside looking in, looking for artifacts is pretty dull. However, the poor ******* that makes points, scatters them about, and probably isn't present for the result of his prank..... That's a sad existence. Natives were here thousands of years. I think genocide wiped out 12-15 million natives. They had a rather large population. Especially, when taken into consideration, they fed their family using only what God provided. Dirt, rocks, wood, and a brain is all they had. It would take lots of arrowheads to feed only one belly. 12+ million bellies over 15,000+ years. That's a lot of arrowheads. I don't think a field can hunted dry.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what fascinates me about these artifacts. If you don't have any interest in history then not only this topic, but looking for these things would seem "dumb and boring". Its mainly the way of life of these people and how in-tune they were with nature. I tell people all the time that we have become so out of touch with nature its ridiculous...They look at me like I'm a 4 headed troll... I find a point/tool now and go hmmm, who made this? where did it travel? what did it hit? You have to have some appreciation for history to like this type of hunting that's for sure. I look at it like I could be out finding history, or sitting on my couch watching reruns of some "dumb and boring" show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread