A little help with information please

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to collect and hunt arrowheads a lot with my Dad when I was a kid and teenager. We were members of a local archaeological society. I have since forgotten most of what I learned back then. I recently came into a collection of artifacts that has rekindled my interest and has got me wanting to start hunting again. Several of the pieces in the collection are quartz which I had never found before. Most of the stuff I used to find that was common in my area was black flint and the occasional grey flint from the Ohio area. I'd like to know some information about these quartz pieces. I assume they are possibly knives. I've never had any artifacts of this size. Does anyone have any idea as to their value? I wouldn't consider selling them but I'd like to know for my own curiosity. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! I frequent the coin forums on T-Net but I think I've found a new area to explore!! :icon_thumright:
20150612_144504-1.jpg 20150612_144359-1.jpg 20150612_144440-1.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't believe they are quartz. Do you happen to know what state they came from? The one in the middle might be quartzite but the other 2 look like flint. Cant tell but the one in the middle might be a broken tip half unless the base is finished. Need a pic of the end.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one in the middle is indeed broken. I know the pictures make them look like flint but they are not. They are quartz or some sort of mineral like quartz. I'll try to get some pictures that show this. Oh yeah, they were either found in the northern pan handle of WV or in Penn. Not sure exactly which.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing a little internet research I believe all three are quartzite. I'll post additional pictures of the pieces tomorrow as well as some pictures of some of the other pieces in the collection. Does anyone have any other insight?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some really nice points and knives in there I'm not sure if value but for the most part artifacts don't hold there value when you think about the time spent searching and how unique they are. I have seen knives like that sell as low as 30$ and as high as 65$

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks arrow86. I'm not really worried about them holding their value. I just wanted to see if I had done alright on the purchase. I've never bought arrowheads only hunted them so this was a first for me. I believe I did pretty good for what I paid. Now I'm excited to get back into hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread