Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I typically dont hunt in creek beds but this weekend I did. A lot of you seem to have some good luck with it and this area has produced a wide range of artifacts before. I found possibly the most eroded sherd of pottery in my collection so far and flake waste which is all fine and dandy but its not what what I wanted.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Still in search of that ever elusive arrowhead I began seeing it in things that clearly weren't points. Anything even remotely triangular I picked up including the rock in the last pic which I was certain was an eroded point. Excitedly I took it home but upon further inspection at I noticed that it was just another disappointment. As you can see in the last pic, my "arrowhead" is a conglomerate of various pebbles and things and unless I'm mistaken, points were always knapped from a single stone. Oh bother, at least I found a pottery sherd if nothing else.

5.JPG 6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you will find plenty of rocks that look like something that are what I call dangits. Even pottery lookalikes in my creek. It will take some time getting use to but it will come.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll do much better to look for the right material not triangular or any other shapes most times they are partially covered anyway

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll do much better to look for the right material not triangular or any other shapes most times they are partially covered anyway

I know, the flake waste I found is a good indicator of what I should've been looking for but my imagination just kind of ran away with me and I was seeing "arrowheads" everywhere. haha.:laughing7:

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, there is stuff in that creek!
I just got to ask, how did you come up with the name Mr. Waffles? :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once kidded a friend that I was going to take their sunglasses and cut out a little arrowhead in the center of each one of the lenses then they would find the good stuff.
Thats when the trouble began!
HH !

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, there is stuff in that creek!
I just got to ask, how did you come up with the name Mr. Waffles? :)

Yes, there certainly are things to be found in that creek. They way I figure, if I found one sherd of pottery, the rest of it has to be somewhere, right?
But about the name, a few people have commented on it so here you go...
#1 Eggo Waffles are amazing. I just gotta put that out there.
#2 I think its important that we don't take ourselves too seriously in life. This relic hunting business is just a hobby for me that I like to have fun with. :laughing7:

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a nice point out there somewhere that has your name on it.
When you find it bring it here, and be sure to show both sides.
We want to see how the Indigenous peoples spelled Mr. Waffles.

Jess B.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the flint piece looks like a thumb scraper, it has the typical concave side, and the rounded edge looks worked, hard to tell from the pic., it is a little small, though.....

Often over looked, very hard to spot in the field.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
the flint piece looks like a thumb scraper, it has the typical concave side, and the rounded edge looks worked, hard to tell from the pic., it is a little small, though.....

Often over looked, very hard to spot in the field.

Good eye Gold Maven. I was thinking it looked like it could be a nice little uni-face, or thumb scraper too.

Check for knibbling or small flaking around the edge Mr. Waffles.

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good eye Gold Maven. I was thinking it looked like it could be a nice little uni-face, or thumb scraper too.

I think it might be a little too small to be a scraper but I'll check it out when I get home and see what I can find. If nothing else, at least take better photos.

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's a nice point out there somewhere that has your name on it.
When you find it bring it here, and be sure to show both sides.
We want to see how the Indigenous peoples spelled Mr. Waffles.

Jess B.

When I find that point, and I will, ya'll will be the first to hear about it, trust me! :)

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I think it might be a little too small to be a scraper but I'll check it out when I get home and see what I can find. If nothing else, at least take better photos.

Too Small? Wanna bet?

I can probably get 5 of mine I on a silver dollar.

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well I'll be darned. I didnt really inspect the rock too much when I picked it up but there is flaking on the edge. It's small but definite. I tried to take a picture but my iphone doesn't take good close ups. Thanks for all the advice and positive feedback, ya'll.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well I'll be darned. I didnt really inspect the rock too much when I picked it up but there is flaking on the edge. It's small but definite. I tried to take a picture but my iphone doesn't take good close ups. Thanks for all the advice and positive feedback, ya'll.

:-)

It pays to really examine flake sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread