Indian scraper is it Clovis?

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badland scenery and scraper 035.jpg Badland scenery and scraper 034.jpg I found this scraper in central Montana while fossil hunting on private land. It's from local rock and not very fancy. I've found more modern tools and this looks cruder. It was well used the edge is warn fairly smooth but has nice serrations.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site no its not Clovis from what I see. Looks like a large removed flake with little work if any

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
older tools are by no means cruder either.

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian scraper 005.jpg Here is a better look at the front. Not the prettiest thing but very used. I found it in badlands next to where the landowner said was a campground.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a bit better in that view. Believe it or not some of the crudest pieces I find are late woodland to Mississippian period. Not old compared to Clovis.
If your item is a artifact the only thing I could see it being used for would be a chopping type of tool.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you have not posted for a while, but your item looks like a well used fleshing knife. Your area and further north towards the ''River'' are some good area's to hunt, and don't forget those hard-pan's.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been used as a Tool, but it more than likely not Clovis related. The Clovis people produced very well made Tools and Points. Crudeness does not imply old. I find some of the crudest Tools on my Ft Ancient sites that are only a few hundred to 1000 years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread