rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like getting a big web in your mouth 1st thing in the morning. I went to the creek and it was very muddy with the big rain we had yesterday. I decided to walk pottery point gravel bar (one of my favs). As I was walking I kept hearing what I thought was a tractor in the distance. As I got to the end it was louder but coming above so I looked up. Must of been a 1000 bees swarming 3 ft above my head. OMG I ran but none caught me thank goodness. I left the creek and went to some washouts in the fields and found these. HH, rock

Attachments

• SDC10597.JPG
    SDC10597.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • SDC10599.JPG
    SDC10599.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

bluespiderweb

Jun 25, 2015
SE Pa near Philly
Primary Interest:
Other
At least you didn't get the spider! Couldn't resist posting to this one for obvious reasons. I think you're taste of the web was worth your finds though, and congrats on them! You'll probably remember them better too, considering your total involvement in the search. Nothing like bringing all senses to the task!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you didn't get the spider! Couldn't resist posting to this one for obvious reasons. I think you're taste of the web was worth your finds though, and congrats on them! You'll probably remember them better too, considering your total involvement in the search. Nothing like bringing all senses to the task!

welcome to tnet :)

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Should have got a hold of a beekeeper to come and catch that swarm. They likely clustered nearby. And rock, if they had wanted to sting you, you would have been toast, you couldn't begin to out run them. FYI when they are swarming, they are as docile as they will ever be. All they want to do is what the picture below shows. They cluster while scout bees look for a new home for them.

I caught 3 swarms last month myself, example below (the only actual real free bees). and removed a hive with 4 foot long comb from behind a wall last sunday.
. 100_1715.JPG

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your encounter with the swarm didn't go bad. Good luck on your next trip to the gravel bar.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nice finds continue Rock! I hope they were honey bees because sadly, I have seen very few this year and for a number of years now. Probably not a topic for this forum, but one the reasons for the honey bee decline might be the now widespread spraying of fields with weed killer before sod planting.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds! Were they honey bees? And ewwwwwwww spiderweb in the mouth is much worse than across open eyeball which I can't stand lolol

I was going to take a pic with my phone then remembered I was allergic and figured Id better hurry out of there. They were coming out of a large tree that had a crack in it. Either honey bees or yellow jackets couldn't tell. But I ended up doing quite well where I ended up at. I did get some relief from the heat by dunking my hat into the water.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nice finds continue Rock! I hope they were honey bees because sadly, I have seen very few this year and for a number of years now. Probably not a topic for this forum, but one the reasons for the honey bee decline might be the now widespread spraying of fields with weed killer before sod planting.

The quartz tool to the far right was in a deer track snapped in 2 pieces. I actually glued it back together. The one to the left of it is a unifaced tool or knife and whole the 1 in my hand is a graver type of thing or a awl. The flint pieces of course are scraper types, the black one is a flaked knife and the point was a killer instu if I had my camera. It was sticking rite out of a drainage ditch tip in 1st.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread