A few recent plains finds.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Rock was wondering what I been up to, and If I had found anything lately. So,,, Here are a few I have picked up lately. Not a lot of great stuff, but there are some nice scrapers, and there is 2 1/4 inches of a nice paleo piece that I am thinking is likely a Cody piece. It's base is heavily ground, and it has strong parallel flaking to a median ridge. Made out of a material very similar to Hixton, it comes from the only site where I find the older or paleo type stuff. It is the only piece in the frame from that site.

There is also a very nice charm or worry stone I picked up shortly after it had suffered some damage. It has a nick out of it, and the metal residue is still shiny with no sign of rust.

DSCN2032.JPG DSCN2033.JPG
DSCN2034.JPG DSCN2035.JPG
DSCN2036.JPG DSCN2037.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet your back hurts haha. That stone is nicely polished. Lots of nice finds.
Here is a question I have been wanting to ask and hopefully you can do it. I get the base confused when somebody asks is it ground or not. Is there anyway you could show us examples with pics of each type of base if you have those examples of each. With pics it would be much easier to know the differences. Maybe in a new post? Probably would make a great sticky for people like me to see examples to know what we are looking for.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It would be tougher to show basal grinding, than explain what to feel for. On this particular piece, when you run your fingers along the length of the blade, not all of it feels as sharp as the rest. The edge of the base the point was halfted to is ground down smooth so as not to cut the halfting material. The very bottom of bases were ground so they wouldn't split the shaft on impact, but penetrate.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet your back hurts haha. That stone is nicely polished. Lots of nice finds.
Here is a question I have been wanting to ask and hopefully you can do it. I get the base confused when somebody asks is it ground or not. Is there anyway you could show us examples with pics of each type of base if you have those examples of each. With pics it would be much easier to know the differences. Maybe in a new post? Probably would make a great sticky for people like me to see examples to know what we are looking for.

Rock like quito said it is a feel to it but here are some photos taken with a microscope of a points base edge ground and the blade edge that has not been ground. Hope it helps, but feel is your best way of telling. blade edge.png Frist photo is the blades edge and the other is the base ground base.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread