Brown flint/chert find today...is it a tool or a point?

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today in the creek and almost didn't pick it up :eek: Does anyone know if it is a scraper or a point?
WP_20150708_001.jpg WP_20150708_002.jpg WP_20150708_003.jpg WP_20150708_004.jpg WP_20150708_005.jpg

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like one of the Mississippian points, they did not do much with them. It could even have been glued on an arrow shaft with pitch glue.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice corner notched point. Late Woodland to Mississippian period would be my guess. There is more out there with all of those shards you find.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice corner notched point. Late Woodland to Mississippian period would be my guess. There is more out there with all of those shards you find.

Thank you rock! I've found 6 shards and a tiny gray flint flake in this one spot this week. Keeping my eyes open for more tomorrow.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I missed something but I'm not seeing anything corner notched. I do see a worked tool of some kind. Small bladelet or reamer maybe, because I see considerable wear in the picture of the edge. Good eyes!

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I missed something but I'm not seeing anything corner notched. I do see a worked tool of some kind. Small bladelet or reamer maybe, because I see considerable wear in the picture of the edge. Good eyes!

If it's a tool do you think they were left handed? That dip on the left side fits perfect between a thumb and forefinger. As far a being a point I have researched and found some evidence of a Morrow Mountain with a round base and random flaking. Still whatever it is I love it and happy to have found it. Thanks for your thoughts on it!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seems like everyone has a difference on it. Sure does look like a little point to me. To each their own

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seems like everyone has a difference on it. Sure does look like a little point to me. To each their own
I have to agree with ya Rock- I wouldn't argue hard on any one of the comments. I could see it going a couple ways. I kinda lean toward it being the broke tip of a larger pre-form. May-be broke when being made and broke at a weird angle. Very confident it's not a Morrow Mount.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be any number of things and I appreciate everyone taking the time to look at it. I was really not leaning toward it being a flake because it's worked on both sides and there isn't bulb on one side. I know one thing, there's more out there I just got to find them lol

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no work at all on this side and I think the other side is just incidental from previous strikes on whatever the larger piece was.
The indentation and the arc shapes coming off of it is the mirror image of the bulb of percussion

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually ironic that you say there is no bulb of percussion because your piece is the bulb of percussion

IMG_20150712_213111.jpg

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually ironic that you say there is no bulb of percussion because your piece is the bulb of percussion

View attachment 1186729

Maybe so but it's not the same as other flakes I've found. I'm no expert was thinking that was a spot where it was flaked out (not sure of terminology). Thanks GatorBoy for pointing it out more, I wasn't sure which side you were talking about.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches this is what I think yours is simialer to, only broke a little different. Probably when it was being made
006 (640x480).jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually try to avoid being too technical I guess I don't like sounding like a geek but I do actually have a brain full of a lot of this stuff the proper description for her object is actually a reduction flake exhibiting negative scars.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Looks like a utilized flake. In the last pic, opposite of the circle is your working edge. That's what I see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread