fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame that second point is broken. It looks like a fresh break.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! Looks pretty good to me, and a shame on the damage on the smaller one.

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Thank you for sharing.

On the white one it is interesting that the broken parts happen to show a dark interior. Do the stones in your area generate a white patina over time or is that just coincidence on that one? Maybe it was out in the sun for a really, really long time?

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are amazing, and it is more amazing that one that big survived all these years dodging farm equipment.

OP
OP
A

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Great finds. Thank you for sharing.

On the white one it is interesting that the broken parts happen to show a dark interior. Do the stones in your area generate a white patina over time or is that just coincidence on that one? Maybe it was out in the sun for a really, really long time?

A lot of my finds have the white patina on it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.
I guess a lot of folks don't realize most of the points you find or anyone for that matter in southwest Georgia and most of Florida have a lot of patina and the colors you see on the exterior are not the color of the original stone except of course some water finds and some in very sandy areas

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used mineral oil to bring back the color on some of my broke points.

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info guys. I found it interesting as a beginner how extreme (and thick) the patina can be on something made relatively recent in geological terms (though ancient of course). I have known and seen patina in lesser extents. It is helpful to know how it can look in different conditions.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That point with the tip ding is somewhere around 8,000 - 9,000 years old

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. In geological terms 9,000 years is not that long ago even if it is seriously ancient to us (that is all I meant by relatively recent). What led me to ask about it is that I can find natural flint pieces around here that may show some discoloration over time (evident if you break it, or if it has a fresh break) but not nearly as extreme as that piece. It seems like the banded flint specimens I find would have faded to white if they were at Americus' location. Anyway I did not mean to derail this thread, thanks again for the info.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
The broken area of the white point is similar in appearance to some chert nodules I've seen with an outer cortex formed over time. when you break them open or spall them for flakes for knapping the cortex is removed to use the more desirable interior. Maybe the age of this point allowed the natural formation of the cortex to reform over time and the right conditions similar to untouched nodes of chert or flint in nature?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cortex on chert is limestone.
Chert is...silica replaced limestone.
The patina is not limestone though I see and understand the similarity in appearance.
It is a similar process in which groundwater was responsible for the mineral deposit or replacement

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, learned something new. What would cause this in the point in question? It would seem like the cortex on this point would have been removed during the knapping process or at least show through at edges etc? Of course im not familiar with the substrate of this point either so I'm asking respectfully.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavy patina is common in southwest Georgia and a lot of Florida.
Without getting too complicated there's a pretty heavy mixture of pH and minerals in that area.
There's a lot of guys in the south that clarify that white patina by soaking their points in mineral oil sometimes it goes completely clear in only a couple minutes sometimes a couple days but it will always go back once it dries out again sometimes that could take months or longer

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't soak my points but just for this kind of purpose I did soak this broken one the next photo is after 24 hours in mineral oil

ForumRunner_20150721_210032.png

Last edited:

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Yes! Very nice finds Americus. I can only wonder how many amazing stone tools you have. Thank you too gator for the experiment. I've been reluctant to clean any of my stone in fear of erasing that old authentic look. If some of that will reappear later though, maybe it's time I tried it myself. Mineral oil. Congrats Americus!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread