July 25 2015 weekend pottery finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wasn't gonna post the pottery finds of this weekend since I didn't find any flint or quartz stuff but decided to go ahead anyway. One of the more modern shards I had never heard of the product it used to contain and now wish it wasn't broken since that would have been a cool bottle to have. And you never know what you're gonna rake out of the creek, found several large leather pieces of what was once a man's boot and a leather small ladies high heel with the heel gone lol lots of misc amber glass too of course but I like to find the glass because I know there's a good chance a NA pottery shard will be there too as was the case this weekend.

The first pic was right when I found those two shards and they were wet and have some creek stain on them. The other pics are some more I found today and the others dried out.
WP_20150725_003.jpg WP_20150726_003.jpg WP_20150726_004.jpg

Upvote 0

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Cool pottery, maybe it can tell you what tribe(s) your dealing with. Not sure how modern glass helps you find pottery, but if it works for you that's awesome! Nobody wants to step on that stuff anyway. HH

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pottery, maybe it can tell you what tribe(s) your dealing with. Not sure how modern glass helps you find pottery, but if it works for you that's awesome! Nobody wants to step on that stuff anyway. HH

This is my 3rd year of creek hunting and I've discovered that wherever glass shards get stuck so will pottery shards, just one of the many things I've learned about how a creek flows :cool:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pottery finds the glass item is a paint thinner that was used back in the 50's and before. 6003927012_15b906e078_m.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that Native pottery has to be coming out of a trash pit from somewhere.
Are they tempering it with limestone or shell? If you can find their trash pit no telling what you may find. I would scour the highest banks you have and look for flint and shell.
Pottery ="s community

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that Native pottery has to be coming out of a trash pit from somewhere.
Are they tempering it with limestone or shell? If you can find their trash pit no telling what you may find. I would scour the highest banks you have and look for flint and shell.
Pottery ="s community

Tempered with quartz, soapstone and some kind of black shiny stone. Yep it's making me nuts trying to figure out where it comes from lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh quartz.. Sometimes you can find the old shell piles. It would drive me crazy too. You know its there. Google earth tell you anything?

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
That's a good way to find them! Actually Peaches I just wanted to bump that guy in the star wars costume from the top. That tiring COA post is not only in the wrong forum - the TN ppl who should have moved it long ago are actually the same ppl prolonging it by replying. Annoying. I'm going back to lurking. There is no satisfaction sharing with 99% of these ppl. You were one of the 1% Peaches. Best of luck (& tons of pottery!) to you in the future. :}'

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you posted it Peaches, nice finds....and good info also.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions