old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe "quito'' was referring to omars (rocks with naturally formed holes) that were picked up and later utilized as tools.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
We do live in the Iowa Great Lakes (Okoboji) region famous or not so famous for the Spirit Lake Massacre. We mostly found these artifacts when we were still plowing and field cultivating . Not so much in recent years with no-till farming practices. However I am thinking we need to revisit the hills overlooking the river bottom. Certainly evidence that there was much activity on our land; cool! A neighbor sold one of his collections to the Smithsonian Museums so yes there is a treasure chest below the surface.

Thought so. I am a little familiar with the area. My company poured the Concrete Flat-work for the Bridges Bay Resort Hotel and water park. Also did the first couple of condo's in that development. Got tired of being out of town, and now one of my former employees is finishing the development.

You most assuredly need to revisit those sites.

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I vacation up on Spirit Lake every other Labor Day. Trying to figure out if I can make it this year. I've got two college buddies from ISU that own cabins next door to each other on 240th Ave.

Depending on your age, you might remember an IH dealer down in Spencer called Halsne Inc. Ol' Grant Halsne is my uncle on my moms side.

OP
OP
P

Pkolson

Greenie
Aug 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know the Halsne's personally but have friends that did business with him. We are John Deere green, ha! The Lakes is a hopping place on holiday week-ends. Hope you get a chance to enjoy!

OP
OP
P

Pkolson

Greenie
Aug 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that why you're called the grim reaper? Because you're so negative?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Grim Reaper, I see an Axe and a maul, rest appear to be just rocks by picture posted......

Grim Reaper is not being negative, it serves no purpose to encourage new hunters by praising rocks as artifacts, only way to learn is to listen to experts who have been hunting and finding artifacts for many decades...

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that why you're called the grim reaper? Because you're so negative?

Sorry if I came off as negative, but I am just calling it as I see it. No offense to you at all intended. You do have a few artifacts in both of the pictures but there are also quite a few natural stones. Just trying to educate.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to go with the Grim Reaper. A few nice artifacts in with some natural rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions