A cobble question

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok it's my turn to post a rock :tongue3: I know it's a cobble but if one of you were to find it, other than bringing it home because it's a nice rock, would you have any theories about it being used for something? Just wondering so please don't beat me up too much :dontknow: I do see the usual plant fossils which is cool in itself to me at least lol Thanks for looking and any thoughts are welcome as long as they're not mean.

WP_20150831_001.jpg WP_20150831_002.jpg WP_20150831_003.jpg WP_20150831_004.jpg

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
for the most part it should look like this.....see how the river patina on mine is nice and smooth but the end is obviously pounded and used?

Attachments

• DSC01623.JPG
    DSC01623.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01626.JPG
    DSC01626.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the most part it should look like this.....see how the river patina on mine is nice and smooth but the end is obviously pounded and used?

Okay! That's what I needed to know unclemac! Mine is not like that on the end, here it is looked dead on, just broken over time. Thanks lots!
WP_20150901_001.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
keep looking, they are out there

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece looks to me like it could have been used in camp life for something, not sure what it was. we find stones like that all the time and the camp is a sandy area without stones so any like that was brought there for a purpose. I bring them all home never know when you will discover what they were used for.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
a lot of times the camp fire stones will hue a pinkish hue too and you can really see that they have been heated.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC Peaches, I find a lot of this "water smoothed" river/creek cobble over all my surface hunt sites. They are "manuports", stone that has been carried to a place where it dosen't naturally occur...carried there by the hand of man and are now out of context. Most of what I find was never used in any obvious way. But some were as they are abraded/or purposely fractured in some way. I usually don't bring them home cause I would run out of room. There are so many wonderful NA mysteries that we can only conjecture about. Sure is fun to wonder about and try and figure out!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a lot of times the camp fire stones will hue a pinkish hue too and you can really see that they have been heated.

Here's an example of just that. Took it home years ago as an example of a hearth stone. Other times, such rocks will look as if they shattered in an explosion. I imagine that cracking could happen with the stones used in sweat lodges as well, when cold water was poured on them to create steam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 69

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob this is North American Indian artifact forum not Jesuit forum.. Please refrain from posting posts about Jesuits..

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY MOD.The op asked about a theory so I gave it to them. They are rocks remember. I'm not hijacking. You willing to take that challenge yet? I will be in Daytona next week.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY MOD.The op asked about a theory so I gave it to them. They are rocks remember. I'm not hijacking. You willing to take that challenge yet? I will be in Daytona next week.
Bob don't push your luck, it was the op who complained. I have no desire to look at a bunch of rocks....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread