maine hardstone

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty slow but have found a few things.Here's an unfinished gouge that I thought was pretty cool. IMAG0122.jpg here's another shot it's either unfinished or utilized the way it was...mjm. IMAG0121.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here's a couple pics of the places I go ...mjm IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0092.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple broke pieces that have started to be drilled on.The black one is slate.I believe they may have been sharpening rods...mjm View attachment 1220848 IMAG0087_1.jpg

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifacts grate looking country!!!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that point and that gouge is way cool, I like finding things that show the different stages of work. Great finds!!!!:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the hard stone king I do believe. Been slow here to. If brokes were a good thing to find thats what I would be king of :( good to see you are still out looking. Hope you find something nice before the snow kicks in, rock

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another pic taken on my car seat after I left a site....there's a piece of slate bayonet..always tickled to find them...mjm IMAG0081.jpg

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks rock the hardstone has been sparce but so is my hunting time....haven't been doing much hunting....harvest time in Maine..

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the long narrow piece on the left last pic a chisel?

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Rock that's a piece of slate bayonette.It seems that all pieces found are always around 3"-4" long.They don't hold up well.They are a foot plus in length in their entirety...mjm..The lakes will soon be drawn down so there will be a lot of shoreline available to hunt...hopefully my hardstone collection will grow...mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are draining the big lake here also. Hate to keep bothering you but what is a slate bayonette? How old and what was it used for? Thanks I always like to learn something new in this hobby. We dont have them here.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice point there, the one by the quarter under the scenic pictures (I couldn't get the picture before the scenic ones to open). Part of one of those bayonets would make me happy any day and unfinished artifacts are always interesting and rarer than finished ones, nice finds.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bother rock....it's a hexagonal ground slate weapon thought to be used by the Maine maritime archaic to haprvest maritime animals..seals ..swordfish and what ever else they were chasing around the ocean...I would say around 3500-4000 yrs old...mjm

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say my chances of finding a whole bayonette are slim to none.They seem to be pretty delicate and would be easily broken by frost heaves...i have a few different slate pieces that are intact like my avatars but anything longer than about 4" seem to be broken...mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. It was interesting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread