Todays pottery find in the creek

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's pottery find in the creek

Wish I could find as many stone artifacts as I do pottery :icon_scratch: but anyway I wouldn't post except to show the folks that are just starting to hunt creeks what else is in there besides projectile points and pretty rocks. So those of you who are starting out creek hunting this is what most shards look like when they are wet. If you find pottery you will find projectile points and/or tools too. This one was in a sand/small pebble bar and I was just moving it around with a hand leaf rake and letting the water rinse the sand away when it floated up. Thanks for the look and happy hunting!

WP_20151107_001.jpg WP_20151107_002.jpg

Upvote 0

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Peaches=When I find pottery I always look harder. Usually something close around. I hope that complete bowl washes out of the bank for ya. Found about 3/4 of one washing out of the bank when I was 13.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Peaches=When I find pottery I always look harder. Usually something close around. I hope that complete bowl washes out of the bank for ya. Found about 3/4 of one washing out of the bank when I was 13.

Thanks SCrocks and I, too, look harder! This is that time of year when it's particularly challenging with all the leaves falling and then the rain rushes the water and piles small limbs and leaves all together and backs the water up so I have to break it up and it takes a lot more time to hunt. But not complaining, it was nice to get out before we get more rain and it's warm right now. I'm looking forward to time off for Thanksgiving to do more thorough searching and hoping to find some quartz points similar to what you found today.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quartz points should be there but they don't stand out like chert in the creeks with other quartz around, good luck looking.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be completely honest with all the pieces of pottery I've seen you post I start to get a twitch in my digging arm and my sifter starts out the door by itself.
The thing about pottery is it only exists where quite a bit of time was spent so a good rule of thumb is where there's pottery there's points ..the only thing that needs to change is how you're looking for them I think... because they are probably at a lower level on a clay layer or some deeper layer of gravel

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be completely honest with all the pieces of pottery I've seen you post I start to get a twitch in my digging arm and my sifter starts out the door by itself.
The thing about pottery is it only exists where quite a bit of time was spent so a good rule of thumb is where there's pottery there's points ..the only thing that needs to change is how you're looking for them I think... because they are probably at a lower level on a clay layer or some deeper layer of gravel

Yep and it drives me crazy! Some of the pottery when it dries has red clay stains and that tells me it was stuck in red clay in the bank or even the bottom. There are some parts of the banks that are gray clay and pockets of white too. The rains are making the creek rise and run real fast and act like a washing machine, like monsterack said in someone else's post. It takes so much time to hunt it because there's so much of it. A couple of the banks on one side are at least 10' or more deep and they are breaking loose a bit so I'm really looking them over. My son cleared a lot of Summer's overgrowth so I can get upstream again. The spot where I found this shard and some others is a run off area of my neighbors field, she gave me permission to hunt her part of the creek. I want to dig in some of the bank that is low because I just know there's stuff in there lolol

We had another all day flooding rain today and it's supposed to be sunny and dry Wednesday so my plans for Veteran's day off is to be in there sifting, digging and raking most of the day :laughing7:

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are 2 pics of the shard dried out. I don't know much about the pottery time periods but I do know how the Catawbas fired their pottery and this piece kinda goes against that way and looks more like a Cherokee fired piece. Notice the darkness on the side with the impressions and the lightness on the unmarked side which says it was fired similar to the Cherokee which was in ovens. The Catawbas fired on fire pits. Anyway, just sharing observations lol Also, I read in a book about the Catawba Nation after the trail of tears there were very few left in this area and lived on the Cherokee reservation for a time. It said the Cherokee liked the way the Catawba fired their pottery and some did theirs the same. They didn't live with the Cherokee long and long story short worked things out where they could have some of the land back near Rock Hill SC for their own reservation.
WP_20151110_001.jpg WP_20151110_002.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of that looks like mineral standing from the creek water.
Although is pretty worn I do believe that it is cord impressed

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Rock Hill last year visiting family in Fort Mill I'll be back in that area again this spring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread