IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would an obsidian blade be superior over a steel one? Here are some well known facts about obsidian:

1.Freshly broken pieces of obsidian make perfect, smooth edges that are only a molecule wide at their apex. Steel, on the other hand, is jagged on the edge, forming tiny tooth-like serrations on the cutting edge. Those points will bend to either side of the blade through use,dulling the edge. When you sharpen a knife, you are aligning the serrations to the plane of the edge. Steel can be honed to make that cutting edge thinner, and thus, sharper. Steel can theoretically be honed until its edge is just a single molecule wide like obsidian, but here the limitations of the metal come in to play. Obsidian is much, much harder than steel. At molecular width, it's edge is hard enough to maintain that razor edge. At that thickness, the steel blade's serration's (the ones I mentioned earlier) are too weak, and will bend once you try to use that edge. Once you try cutting something, the steel edge will bend, and become less sharp.

2.Obsidian fractures conchoidally down to the very last molecule, so essentially when you break a piece off the very edge is only a molecule thick. It is at least 50 times sharper than surgical steel can get, and I've heard some say as much as 500 times sharper. If you look at obsidian's edge under a microscope, it is a perfectly smooth, sharp line. Steel (sharpened to a razor edge) will look like a toothed saw blade. Obsidian is in fact so sharp that when you are cut with it, it slices between skin cells and leaves no scarring, as opposed to steel which essentially rips apart the cells. The only downside of the spectacular sharpness of obsidian is that it is brittle, like glass, especially when you're talking about the one-molecule thick edge. If it touches anything harder than itself, you need a whole new edge. So, bone and hide are not harder than obsidian is, therefore, it will not dull when cutting them. It would only get dull if it was scraped against something harder than itself, and not need to be "resharpened". And it would not be sharpened in the same way as steel anyway, it would have to be pressure flaked, creating a new "edge" to cut with.

3.Steel is almost always composed of very many separate crystals, rather than one large one.
When steel fractures, it typically fractures along the uneven joins between septate crystals.
Obsidian contains almost no crystals large enough to affect the material's fracture properties and it is for this reason it breaks smoothly and sharply. Because obsidian lacks crystals, it does not break along lines of weakness in the material, it just fractures along the lines of the stress that caused the fracture. This is also why obsidian and similar materials show conchoidal fractures.
When you look at the shape of some fractured obsidian, you are looking at the shape of the shockwave that cracked it. When you look at the shape of some fractured steel, you are looking partly at the shape of the shockwave that fractured it, but mostly at the lines of weakness between the steel's imperfections and the joins between it's crystals.

I have talked to a few hunters that actually use "agate" blades to skin and dress their kills with, and one showed his blade to me and told me he had used it for many years, and never had to resharpen it. However, it is different using a stone blade, because you cannot pry or twist with it, otherwise you greatly risk snapping the blade.

I also find it very interesting reading about the "Hopewell" mound site in Ohio, where archaeologists found ceremonial blades and artifacts made of obsidian, that they claim to have gotten the material from Yellowstone in Montana, probably Obsidian Cliffs. (Where they have also recently found artifacts at the site itself.) Why would these men travel around 1600 miles, just to get this material? To me it's obvious, it is a superior material! True, these blades were determined not to have been used, but only to be ceremonial, but they traveled to get it, because they knew what it was, and how valuable it was to be used as a "cutting" material.

So what do you think? Would an obsidian knife be superior over a steel one? I for one absolutely do!

obsidian cliff.jpg Obsidian Cliffs, Yellowstone Montana.

Some more reading: Relative frequency of butchering cutmarks produced by ...

Stone Tool, Bison Butchering Experiments in Archaeology/Anthropology Forum Forum

Butchering With Obsidian | Field & Stream

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hmm. We all know how sharp a fresh obsidian flake can be so I won't need to go there.

Perhaps you can explain why we have so many steel knives, and so few obsidian knives on the market?

Why wood carvers use steel knives?

Why Butchers use steel knives?

Why we don't have obsidian hunting knives at Cabella's or Bass Pro?

Why didn't you tell your eyewitness account again?

Then tell me what in the heck them natives used to grind the bases on those obsidian lanceolates? You did say this stuff was stronger than steel didn't you?

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Harder" than steel. There is a difference. Steel is softer, and because of it being malleable it can bend more easily than stone, thus not "snap" or break, so steel is stronger than stone. It all has to do with it's structure on the molecular level, as stated above.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly doubted they travel to Yellowstone to get the obsidian, they most likely traded for it.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
"would an obsidian knife be superior to a steel one". An obsidian flake blade is superior but I don't think anyone can make an obsidian knife from a rock as sharp as that flake.

NO. I would take a Damascus steel blade over obsidian blade. My thoughts are like Treasure Hunters. They didn't travel 3200 miles round trip to lug rocks home to make points and blades. They probably traded for rock.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"Harder" than steel. There is a difference. Steel is softer, and because of it being malleable it can bend more easily than stone, thus not "snap" or break, so steel is stronger than stone. It all has to do with it's structure on the molecular level, as stated above.

No answer for my questions? I'll answer yours.

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"would an obsidian knife be superior to a steel one". An obsidian flake blade is superior but I don't think anyone can make an obsidian knife from a rock as sharp as that flake.

NO. I would take a Damascus steel blade over obsidian blade. My thoughts are like Treasure Hunters. They didn't travel 3200 miles round trip to lug rocks home to make points and blades. They probably traded for rock.
If they had not traded for them, they would not have lugged them home, I agree, they would have made them there, then taken them home. But I agree with Treasure Hunter, maybe they traded. I'm not sure how they come to the conclusion that the material came from there, but that IS what they are saying. (By they I mean the archys)

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No answer for my questions? I'll answer yours.
Ok, sorry.

Question 1: I don't know.

Question 2: I only have an opinion on this, that obsidian might break "snap" too easily.

Question 3: I don't work for Cabella's or Bass pro, so I don't know.

Question 4: You have stated how you don't believe it anyhow, so why are you so worried about it? I did not post this to get belittled more, right? And, I did post some links on the same subject. Although I don't know these guys in the link, what I do know is they teach classes here in highschool and the college on this very subject, and this is where I saw my "eyewitness" account. I have nothing to prove to you. If you want, you can come here and take the class. Maybe you will learn something.

Question 5: Once again, I have stated I am not an expert on artifacts. Although, I think I saw a youtube video on how one guy speculated on how it might have been done. (If you are really interested I think you can find it on there if you want to look it up.)

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree nothing is as sharp as a flint/obsidian flake. But my answer is.... would you choose an obsidian sword over a steel one ? If you were dropped off in the wilderness would you rather have a flint knife or stainless steel one ? You only have six arrows for your compound bow, steel broad heads or stone ? etc.......

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree nothing is as sharp as a flint/obsidian flake. But my answer is.... would you choose an obsidian sword over a steel one ? If you were dropped off in the wilderness would you rather have a flint knife or stainless steel one ? You only have six arrows for your compound bow, steel broad heads or stone ? etc.......

You make a good point,but as for me,
I'll be honest, I'm not sure....

This is interesting though...They claim they could chop off a horse's head with this one... Some of the more significant portrayals of obsidian use involve blood-letting and warfare. One example includes the macuahuitl, a broad–faced club studded along its edges by obsidian prismatic blades. These weapons are predominantly used in warfare and date to the Post classic period, when the Mam, Kic'he'and Kakchikel's used it against the Spaniards, which feared it as the chronics said: "They can cut a horse head with one stroke". Earlier depictions of obsidian is usually restricted to their appearance as dart, razors or lancets, and it is commonly believed that the material was not associated with weapons such as clubs or spears until later phases in Mesoamerica. During the Pre classic period, obsidian was a rare item in the lowland areas, found predominantly in elite and ritual contexts. In many Maya excavations evidence of obsidian is likewise found most frequently in privileged settings. As the Late Classic period progressed, obsidian became increasingly accessible to the lower classes of Maya civilization. Thus the value of obsidian can be considered highly variable. It was an important trade item, but found in both elite and common settings, unlike many items whose ownership was confined to the elite, there is no indication that obsidian was used as a currency in Mesoamerica.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I am not interested be-littleing you one bit, and I am not worried about anything. I am just interested in getting to the truth. Usually people with tall tales get checked out here.

I am not buying your story about witnessing a guy take a 4 inch newly halfted, razor sharp, authentic artifact obsidian blade, and skinning and butchering a buffalo with it without ever sharpening it, and it still was razor sharp when he was done. That was basically your description wasn't it?

I am amazed at the lengths you are going through to back up your story that doesn't really help it much at all.

Now I will answer the first questions I asked so you can know too.

1. because steel works better!
2. Because steel works better!
3. Because steel works better, and they wouldn't sell enough to bother with. Look at the porcelain knives and you'll get the idea.
4. Because you don't want that showing anymore that it has to.
5. They used an abrading stone because stone will wear down obsidian just like it will steel.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's been years ago, but I remember reading where some surgeons were experimenting with Obsidian scalpels, because they are sharper than steel, and like you mentioned scarring is reduced.

Imagine the operating room scenario as the surgeon makes requests of the Nurse: clamp, sponge, uni-faced blade.:laughing7:

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not interested be-littleing you one bit, and I am not worried about anything. I am just interested in getting to the truth. Usually people with tall tales get checked out here.

I am not buying your story about witnessing a guy take a 4 inch newly halfted, razor sharp, authentic artifact obsidian blade, and skinning and butchering a buffalo with it without ever sharpening it, and it still was razor sharp when he was done. That was basically your description wasn't it?

I am amazed at the lengths you are going through to back up your story that doesn't really help it much at all.

Now I will answer the first questions I asked so you can know too.

1. because steel works better!
2. Because steel works better!
3. Because steel works better, and they wouldn't sell enough to bother with. Look at the porcelain knives and you'll get the idea.
4. Because you don't want that showing anymore that it has to.
5. They used an abrading stone because stone will wear down obsidian just like it will steel.

I did in fact watch a buffalo skinned, and butchered with ONE 4 inch obsidian blade. It did not need sharpening, during or afterward. If you don't believe this, that is fine, just like I keep saying.

"I am not interested be-littleing you one bit"
"I am just interested in getting to the truth"
"Usually people with tall tales get checked out here."
"I am not buying your story"
"
I am amazed at the lengths you are going through to back up your story that doesn't really help it much at all." Really? You are not interested in be-littleing me? Ok.
Like I said, you are welcome to come here, take the class, and see for yourself.
lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Now don't get me wrong, I know animals Can be, have been, and still are being butchered with flint and other crude tools.
My problem with your story is this blade being razor sharp with no rework after butchering a buffalo. That's a tough pill to swallow.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I noticed you left that razor sharp part off now. Good idea, much more believable now.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you could skin a buffalo or a mammoth for that matter and the flint / obsidian blade would still be as sharp as when you started. To prove this, get yourself a pice of flint or obsidian and cut your old dried out deer hide into strips. You will be amazed how long it stays sharp.

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2Q==
Dog-with-bone.jpg

Last edited:
S

stefen

Y'all both have some valid points...but you gotta remember there's several hundred to thousands of years before a native American obtained steel...

The arguments are mute.

As to the circumcise ritual, I'd rather be cut with a flint knife than a dull metal spoon sharpened on a rock...:coffee2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread