Unusual or un-identified artifacts

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
i think this will fall into both categories. Any ideas?
Let see what else we have that we don't know what it is or for.
image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_4155.jpg Here is a piece similar to yours but has a little more work on it. I should have taken more photos of the piece. The serrations around the side has something that divides them in four sections but forgot how. Piece was found up in North Georgia. This is a photo of photos in a log book of finds and interesting pieces.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one has been discovered as being a club head type but still it was something I wondered about for a while.

Attachments

• SDC11072.JPG
    SDC11072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • SDC11073.JPG
    SDC11073.JPG
    862.5 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This one has been discovered as being a club head type but still it was something I wondered about for a while.
!

Looks crude, but effective. I can see why you wondered, the material didn't lend itself to what the maker had in mind to well.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Game piece ?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
View attachment 1261089 Here is a piece similar to yours but has a little more work on it. I should have taken more photos of the piece. The serrations around the side has something that divides them in four sections but forgot how. Piece was found up in North Georgia. This is a photo of photos in a log book of finds and interesting pieces.

Size? Is the thickness the same all the way around the rim?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"cone ?"

"game piece ?"

I don't think so. I showed it to a quite a few pretty astute people at the Collinsville show a few years ago, got a bunch of head scratching and I don't knows. Not one said cone or game piece.

Last edited:

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the same all the way around like it had been turned on lathe. The size was about the size yours looks. It is not mine I was at a knapp in and the person brought it to be identified. The person that was to be identifying was not there and they were asking about the identifier and he showed me the piece and it was interesting enough I took these photos.

S

stefen

View attachment 1261089 Here is a piece similar to yours but has a little more work on it. I should have taken more photos of the piece. The serrations around the side has something that divides them in four sections but forgot how. Piece was found up in North Georgia. This is a photo of photos in a log book of finds and interesting pieces.

This stone example is similar to the COG STONES found in Orange and Los Angeles county California (California Cogged Stones)

Purpose is not known but presumed to be ceremonial.

Some believed them to be used as fishing net weights, cooking stones, arrow straighteners and the like.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might not be a game piece but I don't thing its a fishing net weight or cooking stone ether.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It might not be a game piece but I don't thing its a fishing net weight or cooking stone ether.

I agree 100%

any thought on the last piece? Effigy or Tool? Looks like a stinger on the end to me, or it's a graver spur.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll join this. Not sure of this item, I say it is unfinished what ever it was going to be. Asst. artifacts 004.JPG Asst. artifacts 005.JPG I have heard all of these knapping stone, unfinished banner, double end celt and a bunch of I don't know. It has been ground down or pecked to a blade like edge on both ends.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another I found last year. Some call it a spokeshave but Im not sure by the other side cause it has a flat spot that looks to of been mounted on something. Could it be a At a lata hook? Spelled wrong haha
Its not a broken point some type of tool.

Attachments

• SDC10476.JPG
    SDC10476.JPG
    793.1 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here is another I found last year. Some call it a spokeshave but Im not sure by the other side cause it has a flat spot that looks to of been mounted on something. Could it be a At a lata hook? Spelled wrong haha
Its not a broken point some type of tool.

NICE!

Looks like a multipurpose tool with a nice spoke shave to me. Wish you showed the other side.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

Thanks iowa trout! I and the owner of the site both have cones we found there. They are what I would call traditional cones that are basically half of a sphere.
This is piece is nothing like them.

I had one well versed guy at collinsville at first look instantly say to me "arikara" "Sinew Stone" said he had seen something just like it in the past. I don't know that they were this far east, but they weren't to far north and west. So I don't necessarily think it's from the Arikara people, I do think he may be right about sinew stone though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread