Arrowhead Hunting Question..

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have y'all ever found a point that was broken and then found the other half nearby? I ask because a lot of what I find (especially in plowed fields) have been broken and I'm wondering if it's even worth looking around in the same area for the other piece?

Upvote 0

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, it is worth it. I have seen points found 20 years apart. I have a point that I have three parts and still missing two. I have several that are broken refits.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have put a couple pieces together myself, could probably do a few more if I took the time.

I'm thinking on most sites that were occupied for a while you would find more broken points than whole. I envision hunters taking off broken points from their shafts and discarding them when back at home or in a camp setting rather than in the field.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the broke pieces separate by areas where you found them and occasionally you can lay them out and see if any fit. we have put a good many back together but these were broke while they were being made and the knapper dropped both pieces and started on another spall.

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted a thread back in December about finding half of a blade and my Son having the other half that he found the year before. It happens occasionally.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure can match brokes up. Try to keep your pieces separated by site and sooner or later it will happen. I have done it maybe a dozen times throughout the years. Here is one I found the tip to about a year later.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe pics will show. Also a 3 piece knife found last summer

Attachments

• 2 piece point.JPG
    2 piece point.JPG
    787.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 3piece biface.JPG
    3piece biface.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 182

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I would like to find the 3rd piece of this 7 inch round bi-face. By far even broken with part missing, this is the biggest blade I have found so far. Found both pieces 2 years ago, and been hunting hard for the rest when I can.
image.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding broken item's due to farming, it is more of a chance of finding the other part later. Good post !!!!!

OP
OP
S

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm sold! I'll be putting in the time to look for the next parts and keep them separated by location. Beautiful points, Welsbury. Thanks for all the input.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the two pieces for this large Point the same day on the Ohio River.

Attachments

• New019.jpg
    New019.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 165
  • New017.jpg
    New017.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 182
  • New015.jpg
    New015.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 184

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread