Rock meets Artifact

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It happens on every Internet artifact forum/community. Someone with less then a good grasp of what constitutes a stone artifact arrives and posts a rock, or several rocks. And introduces them as Native American tools that they found. And, it happens with enough frequency that some members of the community, if they don't express it directly, at least to themselves find themselves thinking "sigh, oh no, not again".

Two conditions exist which make such postings "fraught with danger." And by that, I just mean misunderstandings have a very good chance of arising, which in turn may lead to a thread heading south in a hurry.

Condition One: the poster does not know they are posting rocks, not artifacts, but, perhaps most importantly, they are completely unaware that this happens with some frequency, that they are not the first, and that the community has seen this happen, rocks described as artifacts, time and time again. The poster is unaware of this history, and therefore may not understand expressions of impatience/exasperation from the community.

Condition Two: many experienced collectors, in recognizing that a rock is a rock, and not an artifact, experience that recognition from the position of "second nature knowledge". Think about that. When you, the experienced collector, see a rock that is not an artifact, you do not have to go through a series of logical deductions in your mind that arrives at the conclusion "this is just a rock". It does not take you several minutes to recognize a rock. No, rather your experience bypasses that process. Your experience permits instant recognition, because your understanding, your recognition, is at the level of second nature understanding. You "just know", you don't have to think it through.

And, there are ramifications when knowledge is second nature. It may be the hardest thing in the world to actually describe to the inexperienced poster exactly how you know that a rock shown is "just a rock". In other words, once your own recognition is instantaneous, is second nature, it becomes very difficult to retrace the actual steps your mind would use to describe why that rock " is just a rock".

And this can lead to a rock meeting a hard place. The poster does not really understand why his/her rock is "just a rock", and the experienced collector struggles to actually explain why it is just a rock, and not an artifact.

This situation develops because the lessons that need to be conveyed are best conveyed in person. Both inexperienced and experienced can share and pass that rock back and forth. There is a better chance of an understanding being arrived at, although the experienced is still going to have trouble conveying knowledge that they themselves don't have to think through anymore, since the recognition is second nature. Second nature both where rocks are concerned, and where artifacts are concerned. It will still be tough, but it's really that much harder to accomplish the education in a non-live setting like an Internet forum.

Sometimes, an ugly collision occurs. Sometimes a poster actually says "well, thanks, I've learned something. Now I know my rocks are not artifacts." But, as we know, ofttimes arguments ensue because the poster is simply not prepared to hear people say "those are not artifacts". And his/ her reaction may be anger, not appreciation for being corrected. And sometimes community members, if they react with impatience or sarcasm, etc., only make matters worse. This is why folks posting rocks and calling them artifacts is a situation "fraught with danger.". I am sure my own efforts have been far from perfect at times. I may have said something not diplomatic enough to avoid anger erupting. I regret that for certain.

At the same time, it's nearly inevitable that these situations will appear in the future. Maybe someday someone will publish a thread/book on "how to distinguish rock from artifact", and it can be linked to every time a new poster arrives with a rock and tells the community it is an artifact. Here, I am just making a feeble effort to delineate how these things happen. It all seems to boil down to inexperienced people bumping into second nature knowledge born of lot of experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here we see a large "blue" felsite biface. Might be a chopper, might just be a preform. But experienced eyes should recognize instantly that it is artifactual, and not just a rock. But try explaining that to the inexperienced. The inexperienced will likely recognize a perfect projectile point as an artifact. But, with this biface, the reaction may very well be "How is that an artifact?? Why are my rocks just rocks, but this rock is an artifact? I don't understand."

Can we at least see that this may be hard to explain in person, let alone on the Internet? You've got to be able to retrace your own education that brought you to the point where you recognize in an instant that this rock is an artifact. Your recognition is second nature, but that won't mean a thing to the inexperienced eye.

Take the second piece seen here. Here we might have a much better chance of getting a lesson across. You should be able to get the inexperienced to recognize the outer skin, what we call cortex, of a pebble. And then, once they recognize the skin of the original pebble, you can explain how a human was chipping away at that pebble to create a tool of some sort. But, it broke, and was discarded. But at least this might be a decent study piece to help the inexperienced recognize when a pebble was being altered by human hands.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 99

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks great job. Being new to this everyone's insight has helped me so much. It took me a good 6 months and a lot of questions to really start feeling comfortable with ID'ing stool tools and camp rocks. Local knowledge and research is also so critical to successful trips. Again great topic and well said!

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charlie, Thank you! well said!
I am just a novice. But second hand nature is a fact. But my issue is more of the fact of argument. I can understand that new to this hobby and not getting what is an artifact, and will go out of my way to try and explain. but where I have the problem is where they do not listen to the second hand knowledge. I like you can see what is and is not. But I will not sugar coat a rock. And Explained or not, should be the standard of any forum. We may or may not tell all that we know, but we are here and do this as a passion for our hobby. I agree 100% we should call out rocks, and praise artifacts of any finder. It is also a study for me and will look and listen to those that have the knowledge. But I will not be silent when those that come to any forum with rocks and defend them.
Enough said!

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is annoying when you think you have sobering cool and it's just a rock... But I like rocks too haha. Take me for example...I have found a good number of points and pottery and many interesting toxins from the same area. If I am told it's just a rock, then so what. If I argue my rich to become an artifact, then don't waste time in the argument. Also, I guess I'm guilty of not showing appreciation for opinions and answers, rock or not. So, thank you to everyone who's given some of their vast knowledge to my posts. Many fields of study play a part in artifacts. And a thank you to all the people on the site who provide information. I've learned a lot by simply reading the posts. OK let's see if this will post

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have credentials on the matter Charl or just a long time collector?

i'm speaking as a long time collector. Yes, I did earn my first degree in geology, but that was decades ago. Otherwise, what I wrote here does not really require any credentials, IMHO. I think it's more common sense then anything requiring credentials. Just the ability to distinguish artifacts from "just rocks". I am just trying to describe what happens on forums when folks who don't realize they are in fact showing rocks, not artifacts, bump into a forum where experienced members do understand how to recognize the difference between rock and artifact, and whose members are in the position of having seen similar posts time and again, and again, and again. Some folks are simply not prepared to hear the truth. I guess there can be many reasons for that. I wish I knew how to prevent a thread from going south. But one thing is certain. When the original poster argues that we are mistaken, lapses into name calling or grows sarcastic toward the members here, that is a guarantee the thread will fail. I guess all that's left is to tell the poster we will agree to disagree and simply drop the subject entirely. We want to educate. Unfortunately, there will be people showing up at times who will steadfastly refuse to be educated. Hard to get lessons across online sometimes. But, this is not our fault. All we can do is be honest with our opinions and hope the poster is mature enough to heed our advice.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks. You wrote with a great deal of knowledge and was just wondering where it came from is all. I bought a bell pestle at a knap in one day only after I had an archeologist couple (both were educated in the field) confirmed as to what I was looking at was real or not. They gave me the name of the item and the rock it was made out of BUT would not tell me the value or if what I was going to pay for it was a good value.

Thanks again for your informative posts.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I just read the thread that spawned this conversation. All I have to say is "wow."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread