willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_4227.jpg I showed the piece that is white and not Heat treated the other day. The pink point is a later version of the Allendale point and is heat treated, both are Allendale points. The heat treated material lets them do a better job knapping the point.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice examples. So if it was heat treated the colors would come out better>? How hard would it of been to make a point if it wasnt treated before making it?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Heat treating often turns rocks a reddish color. It probably helped several materials as far as making them easier to work.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell if a point has been heat treated?

Normally when Coastal plain chert is heat treated it will change color and the material will look a little more glassy. It flakes easer and is not as strong as raw chert. The color like the pink one is deceiving sometimes though , hope this helps some there is a scientific explination but you would have to look it up.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice examples. So if it was heat treated the colors would come out better>? How hard would it of been to make a point if it wasnt treated before making it?

The material that is raw is tougher to knap but holds up better with use. Heat brings out color and on some brown and yellow material will change to red.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heat treating often turns rocks a reddish color. It probably helped several materials as far as making them easier to work.
Thanks I did not read your post until I almost re posted the same.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material that is raw is tougher to knap but holds up better with use. Heat brings out color and on some brown and yellow material will change to red.

So do you believe most of the broken ones we find have been heat treated then? I find some different types of black flint some feel more glossy than others maybe the glossy texture is from being heated then. Most of the glossy ones are damaged to more often than the non glossy ones to.

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you believe most of the broken ones we find have been heat treated then? I find some different types of black flint some feel more glossy than others maybe the glossy texture is from being heated then. Most of the glossy ones are damaged to more often than the non glossy ones to.

Chert from different areas work different, the material in your area may be knappable without heating it. Even in our area the chert has a core with extremely good material and the outer areas of the rock gets less workable without heating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread