Looking for some ideas on this piece.

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to post this simply because I'd really like to get some solid opinions about it. For lack of a better explanation I'm going to speculate that it is a remnant of a soapstone bowl. I've not been able to find anything that looks exactly like this with the exception of a few images of items similar in shape and form, and that is what I am basing my initial accessment on. I found this a few yards from where I found that questionable adze non-artifact (among other items). It is about 4 to 5 inches in length, 3 to 3.5 inches wide. The thickness of the wall is about 1/4 inch or so but varies. The outside shows some chipping/weathering, or possibly heat related cracking and is also very black as though it had been subjected to heating in a fire. I do not believe it is pottery and it has a kind of metalic feel to it, but is not metal. Looking for some ideas. Thanx.

Soapstone Bowl1.jpg Soapstone Bowl2.jpg Soapstone Bowl3.jpg Soapstone Bowl4.jpg Soapstone Bowl 5.jpg

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Doesn't look like soapstone...more like it was a sun baked mud encrusted rock at one time...possibly a semi-fired pot or cup???????

if you Were familiar with soapstone, you'd immediately discard that idea...

Someone will chime in and help solve the problem

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An all natural concretion ...

Attachments

• IronConcretions-HarrisWashUtah-4193.jpg
    IronConcretions-HarrisWashUtah-4193.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just curious...is this material normally found in Kentucky? Doesn't seem to be any other material like it where i found this piece.

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stefen...yeah I'm not familiar with soapstone...just a starting point guess as to what it might be. It is a single odd piece of material and I've not seen anything like it anywhere near where it was found. Not sure how common it is in Kentucky. Showed it to friend of mine who is more knowledgable and he was a bit puzzled about it as well, wasn't sure what to make of it as he had never seen anything like it in all the years he's been hunting in Kentucky.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron ore concretion very common. I even find it here in GA

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stefen...yeah I'm not familiar with soapstone...just a starting point guess as to what it might be. It is a single odd piece of material and I've not seen anything like it anywhere near where it was found. Not sure how common it is in Kentucky. Showed it to friend of mine who is more knowledgable and he was a bit puzzled about it as well, wasn't sure what to make of it as he had never seen anything like it in all the years he's been hunting in Kentucky.

Steatite is called soapstone for good reason. It will feel just like a slick bar of soap. It can come in a brownish color, but folks are right in the concretion ID....

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
petrified dino turds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions