grave digger?

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Hi ya all I,M still excited over yesterdays find ,but today,s find was even better not because it was a bigger or more valuable one.I took a walk tonite to visit some gravesites of freinds and family about a mile from home. I sat down on a bench and played some blues on my harmonica. As I was ready to leave I was walking toward the road that runs through the cemetary. there was a pile of dirt along road ,from recently dug graves. An hour earlier we had a hard rain,the first in 40 days. There it lay at the base of the pile ,just laying there sparkling. Just like my freinds laid it there for playing them blues. I mean it felt really strange. So I started looking through the pile for more. I didn,t find any more yet ,notice I said yet!But I did find the prettiest rock.I would love to find a point made of it. Any suggestins on type of point and the type of rock would be appreciated. To find one you are not looking for one is always special and under the circumstances I thought this was a special find and most worthy of sharing with you all thanks Ohio river hunter

Attachments

• Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 455
  • Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 449
  • Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 460
  • Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find man.Your on a roll now. ;D Look like a Benton to me.

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
Nice finds!! I'm no expert, but that may be a Clovis point? Anyone? Anyone?

HH,

root

BTW..............I blow harp too. Sonny Terry, Magic Dick and "Little Walter are a couple of my influences.
Blow your face out Momma!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The stone looks like a very fine quality flint. I found a small core while working the shorline of the Ohio and it is very similar in color and quality. It almost looks like carnelian, an agate.

It would make a gorgeous point!

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
root said:
Nice finds!! I'm no expert, but that may be a Clovis point? Anyone? Anyone?

HH,

root

BTW..............I blow harp too. Sonny Terry, Magic Dick and "Little Walter are a couple of my influences.
Blow your face out Momma!
Thanks Wow another harp player ,Muddy,Sonny,Little Walter I can get into. What not better place to feel and play the blues than a cemetary HUH? And seems to be good to find arrowheads as well . Jeff AKA Ohio river hunter

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda looks like a Benton to me. Nice find. 8)

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
You have not said what part of the states you found it. But all I can say is you found a true treasure. You know what I like to do is after all of my friends disk their fields I always have permission to look their ground over. And what I like to do is look over the field and find the run offs where the rain water runs. Then I sit next to the top of the run off and keep scooting down the run off and i look for beads and arrowheads. In my area pottery is everywhere and i still look for it but it normally is so disked that the pieces are very small but occassionally I get very big pieces which have a distinctive design. I love looking for anything native american. Good luck Mary ann

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Old Dog said:
Ohioriverhunter,A truly beautiful point.
Congrats

MEinWV,
Not Carnelian, carnelian is deep blood red.

The finest carnelian is the deep blood red, as you state, but many gem references list color ranges from pinkish, through orange to deep red, including brownish red to brownish orange.

Regardless of that, carnelian is one member of the chalcedony family, which includes jaspers and flints.

I would say that the stone is most probably a member of the chalcedony family, and carnelian is his rich cousin.

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
badandy said:
Nice point and story! Are there any flutes on the point? If si than it could be a Greenbrier. JMO!
badandy
No flutes Andy I,m not real familiar with greenbriers. I,ll look it up in my references. I just got home from camping and will be hunting some more hopefully Thanks so much for input and HH Jeff

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
MEinWV said:
The stone looks like a very fine quality flint. I found a small core while working the shorline of the Ohio and it is very similar in color and quality. It almost looks like carnelian, an agate.

It would make a gorgeous point!
I first thought it was a rare material for this area called cannels coal or something like that. Alot of discodials,and bannerstones are found around here made of that I,ll keep researhing though. TRhanks so much for input HH Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions