Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time period please

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Geofacts...best way to learn what isn't an artifact, we've all been there at one point or another.

As for the deer cutting, I've found plenty of sharp stones that could cut a deer...not demonstrative of an artifact in any way.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have in that picture is a worked artifact. Too to many people look and don't blow up the pictures yet formulate an opinion from that. You know what they say about opinions?? Everyone has one. With facts it should have been a easy call. Fact one....definite local cherts and Flint's you have supplied. Fact two.....all Cherts and Flint's are quarried and brought somewhere or severe debitage will be everywhere next to the quarried source. Fact three nobody here is a expert!!! What we do have is years of hunting and researching under our belts. Does it make us a expert...NO!!! Even the land bridge theory and first primitive hunter theory is being challenged by experts who initially came up with the land bridge theory. Which side of America was settled first is being challenged. It was first thought by "Experts" that Paleo man settled the West first...hmmm well how is that possible when sites on the east coast pre-date sites on the west??? Why is it that fishermen fishing the Atlantic pull up Clovis points from the bottom with there nets just off the coast of NJ, De, NC, and along some of the northern states along the coast? Because history is a mystery and one that will forever change as new sites and finds are found.........you have a artifact in that one pic and it has clear flaking.....keep looking and forget about what every expert here wants to say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have in that picture is a worked artifact. Too to many people look and don't blow up the pictures yet formulate an opinion from that. You know what they say about opinions?? Everyone has one. With facts it should have been a easy call. Fact one....definite local cherts and Flint's you have supplied. Fact two.....all Cherts and Flint's are quarried and brought somewhere or severe debitage will be everywhere next to the quarried source. Fact three nobody here is a expert!!! What we do have is years of hunting and researching under our belts. Does it make us a expert...NO!!! Even the land bridge theory and first primitive hunter theory is being challenged by experts who initially came up with the land bridge theory. Which side of America was settled first is being challenged. It was first thought by "Experts" that Paleo man settled the West first...hmmm well how is that possible when sites on the east coast pre-date sites on the west??? Why is it that fishermen fishing the Atlantic pull up Clovis points from the bottom with there nets just off the coast of NJ, De, NC, and along some of the northern states along the coast? Because history is a mystery and one that will forever change as new sites and finds are found.........you have a artifact in that one pic and it has clear flaking.....keep looking and forget about what every expert here wants to say.

Thanks! I wholeheartedly appreciate the response.

This thread made me realize that most people don't take the time to click and enlarge the pictures. The photos I've posted over the last month or so is only a fraction of what I've found.

I have spent the last 4 years looking for artifacts or studying about them. And of those 4 years I spent 3 years and 10 months finding nothing but natural geofacts. So I know when I see something altered by humans...... these aren't man made, I repeat these are not artifacts. They are naturally shaped like "axes"

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing reduction flakes and a fire popped point in your pictures. I am also seeing things that look like they should be something but are not. You are hunting in the cove correct? You are finding artifacts just not whole identifiable pieces. Are you in the cove? Hit a like and I will come back. Lol I am firing up the forge :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing reduction flakes and a fire popped point in your pictures. I am also seeing things that look like they should be something but are not. You are hunting in the cove correct? You are finding artifacts just not whole identifiable pieces. Are you in the cove? Hit a like and I will come back. Lol I am firing up the forge :thumbsup:

Yes, all the pics in this thread are from our property, but on higher ground. Axe/hatchet/spuds and other ground stones in abundance..... But what do I know

View attachment 1303129
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have been hammered by the rain. I have been tearing out Beaver dams down there, Did you see the canola growing? That cove has occupation from late archaic to contact.Never found any paleo though. That black and brown flint or chert is only found there and a place up in the Cumberland plateau. Lots of caves. Friend found two nice pole celts in one. Almost any ground that is not covered in silt will yield artifacts and worked flint down there. You are getting close and finding much better stuff. Do not be fooled by things that look like something but are not.When they are something they will be spectacular. That area has a lot of weird rocks and fossils.
Its a giant cove and I have been on it from one end to the other. Where you are at gets flooded a lot so think about that. I have found a lot on the big creek below you but most..... up stream towards the freeway where it does not carry all the silt. You know where the creek can almost be seen from the freeway on the left before you go over that Big Mtn into middle Tn. You should know where I am speaking of. Use Google and fly up stream where it crosses out of the cove and keep going. Hang in there!!

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have been hammered by the rain. I have been tearing out Beaver dams down there, Did you see the canola growing? That cove has occupation from late archaic to contact.Never found any paleo though. That black and brown flint or chert is only found there and a place up in the Cumberland plateau. Lots of caves. Friend found two nice pole celts in one. Almost any ground that is not covered in silt will yield artifacts and worked flint down there. You are getting close and finding much better stuff. Do not be fooled by things that look like something but are not.When they are something they will be spectacular. That area has a lot of weird rocks and fossils.
Its a giant cove and I have been on it from one end to the other. Where you are at gets flooded a lot so think about that. I have found a lot on the big creek below you but most..... up stream towards the freeway where it does not carry all the silt. You know where the creek can almost be seen from the freeway on the left before you go over that Big Mtn into middle Tn. You should know where I am speaking of. Use Google and fly up stream where it crosses out of the cove and keep going. Hang in there!!

I've lived here my whole life and family has been here since the 1940's so trust me... I know the areas that flood and the areas that don't. All of these finds have came from the areas that don't flood. I'm on higher ground where the flood waters don't reach and never has.. at least as long as my family has lived here.... It would take a Biblical flood...

I find a lot of the brown/black chert but this spot has some bluish grey colored as well..... But I was told by the "experts" on here, yet again, that these pieces aren't man made... Just natural flakes....

Tell me these are natural.... The round middle one is the blue/grey type I haven't found on our property

image.jpg
image.jpg

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
What you have in that picture is a worked artifact. Too to many people look and don't blow up the pictures yet formulate an opinion from that. Not sure how you could in any way know whether or not members blew up the pics? Just an assumption on your part because you disagree with them.

You know what they say about opinions?? Everyone has one.
Agreed and your post is the same.

With facts it should have been a easy call. Fact one....definite local cherts and Flint's you have supplied.
OP states some are "dry and grainy" not like any cherts I've ever seen...but very much like creek stained limestone etc.

Fact two.....all Cherts and Flint's are quarried and brought somewhere or severe debitage will be everywhere next to the quarried source.

Erosion and water can carry stone miles and miles from source.

Fact three nobody here is a expert!!! What we do have is years of hunting and researching under our belts.
I disagree, while I don't consider myself one, there are quite a few members here and on another board that are at the very least experts ( a subjective term) in their respective locales. "years of hunting and researching" which is exactly how one goes about becoming an expert...and more like hundreds of years combined.
Does it make us a expert...NO!!! Even the land bridge theory and first primitive hunter theory is being challenged by experts who initially came up with the land bridge theory. Agreed, theories, evolve, change...Which side of America was settled first is being challenged. It was first thought by "Experts" that Paleo man settled the West first...hmmm well how is that possible when sites on the east coast pre-date sites on the west??? Why is it that fishermen fishing the Atlantic pull up Clovis points from the bottom with there nets just off the coast of NJ, De, NC, and along some of the northern states along the coast? Because history is a mystery and one that will forever change as new sites and finds are found.........you have a artifact in that one pic and it has clear flaking Yes, that last pic certainly does appear to have intentional flaking.....keep looking Good advice and forget about what every expert here wants to say. Bad advice!
To the OP, no one is intentionally trying to hurt your feelings or discount your finds out of malice...seriously they are trying to help.

Many members often skip over posts where there are geofacts exactly because of what happens when it's pointed out...just not worth the bother trying to educate someone unwilling to learn.

When I first started I posted my share of geofacts and was disappointed to find out they weren't.
One bone piece in particular stands out, I had found and thought it was a pendant, until it was pointed out there were modern saw mark and it was just somebodies dinner from the last few years or so...lol.

That last pic (post 41) does look very much like an artifact and very well may be, and as mentioned, you're in the right place. I imagine some time from now after gaining more knowledge you might look back on this and see most of the other ones for what they are.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread