Yet another agate I am curious about

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This agate I have almost looks like it could be the tip of a broken point/blade. Or maybe it is more glaciers playing tricks on me. It was found at a gravel pit in Northern Minnesota not far from the St Louis river while looking for agates a couple years ago. I haven't had any time to go on a true hunt but at least had some time to pic over my agates. What do you think? I know it isn't much. So far I have not had the best luck finding artifacts so if it is something more than natural it would be enough to keep me happy until I have time to go looking again.

Thanks for looking. I always appreciate the extra eyes. :)

Agate-Img_1314SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1315SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1316SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1317SSSS.jpg

This would be the broken side, if it is something:
Agate-Img_1319SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1320SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1322SSSS.jpg

Agate-Img_1323SSSS.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure something worked on it could have been glacier.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It you had about an inch more of it I think people would be more confident if those chips were man made, or tumble damage from creeks, glaciers, animals, etc.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Yeah I know there's not a lot to go on with this one and it should probably just go back with my agates. Probably silly of me to even single it out. Did not find anything else with it. Thanks for looking.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still learning what is worked and what is creek wear or glacier wear in this case, but it sure is a beautiful material! I'd keep it!

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still learning what is worked and what is creek wear or glacier wear in this case, but it sure is a beautiful material! I'd keep it!

Definitely still learning myself. Eventually my time and effort will pay off. I saw you are on the right track and found some nice worked pieces. It almost looks easy when you see all the nice finds posted here but I certainly realize and respect the effort it takes. I'll definitely keep that agate. I have thousands of agates and still feel the need to find more for some reason, big or small. :)

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great to find a point made out of lake superior agate!!! Hope you find a nice one someday!!!! I love that striped red!!!!

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great to find a point made out of lake superior agate!!! Hope you find a nice one someday!!!! I love that striped red!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will be happy if I find any point (understatement), but I guess it never hurts to aim high. I like how the type of a point can help diagnose the time period they were made. I will leave my bucket list entry as "find a point". Perhaps if I am lucky enough to cross that one off I will add "find a point made of agate". :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Definitely still learning myself. Eventually my time and effort will pay off. I saw you are on the right track and found some nice worked pieces. It almost looks easy when you see all the nice finds posted here but I certainly realize and respect the effort it takes. I'll definitely keep that agate. I have thousands of agates and still feel the need to find more for some reason, big or small. :)

i feel your pain...

Attachments

• DSC04259.JPG
    DSC04259.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 85

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the encouragement. I will be happy if I find any point (understatement), but I guess it never hurts to aim high. I like how the type of a point can help diagnose the time period they were made. I will leave my bucket list entry as "find a point". Perhaps if I am lucky enough to cross that one off I will add "find a point made of agate". :)

out here agate points are more common than flint...

Attachments

• DSC04865.JPG
    DSC04865.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
out here agate points are more common than flint...

Nice point there unclemac. It glows like fire. Remind me what state you are in, I want to know what state I will be living in as soon as I have time to move my stuff. ;)

Speaking of agate artifacts, I do have this possibly broken piece I found a few years ago up north on an agate hunt, unfortunately I no longer have access to where it was found. I got a lot of positive opinions on it here, but of course so far I never seem to find the ones that leave no doubt. :)

Agate-ToolLike-IMG_6051SSSS.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i am over in WA...when i found that piece it was a sunny day and it was lit up like it WAS on fire sitting alone on the sand. A blind man could have spotted it in a snow storm.

aint for sure about your other piece...do you find a lot like that?

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aint for sure about your other piece...do you find a lot like that?

That settles it I'm packing up and moving to WA. ;)

None quite like it. I'm 90% on it but that 10% irks me. I gotta get out and search more but when even my Sunday turns in to a 14 hour work day from hell and this has been a better week it's not possible, excuse my language just letting off some steam. :/

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also in Washington, and have never seen a flint here.

Wow, that is an incredible point. Is there just not that much flint around there and a lot more agate? Large pieces of plain flint are pretty rare here. From what I have seen I consider the most common knapping material around here that is of workable size to be oolitic chert. After that, maybe other chert, jasper, agate/chalcedony, then plain (gray) flint. Though some people call me the "agate magnet" so my viewpoint may be slightly biased.

Thanks guys for sharing your excellent finds made of awesome material. :)

By the way, the opportunity just presented itself for me in July to go collecting at the location I found that curious piece I started the thread about. Hoping I can find my first point but if not I will at least probably come out with a bunch of agates and some nice garden rocks.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
be sure to update this post when you do, would love to see your agates. Out here, depending on the area (Wa is a VERY diverse state) we tend to find basalt, obsidian, agate, jasper of all colors, and some exotics too.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Wow, that is an incredible point. Is there just not that much flint around there and a lot more agate? Large pieces of plain flint are pretty rare here. From what I have seen I consider the most common knapping material around here that is of workable size to be oolitic chert. After that, maybe other chert, jasper, agate/chalcedony, then plain (gray) flint. Though some people call me the "agate magnet" so my viewpoint may be slightly biased.

Thanks guys for sharing your excellent finds made of awesome material. :)

By the way, the opportunity just presented itself for me in July to go collecting at the location I found that curious piece I started the thread about. Hoping I can find my first point but if not I will at least probably come out with a bunch of agates and some nice garden rocks.

No flint here at all. I've found some chert, but I think it was brought here...

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some fascinating geology both of you have there. Kind of cool how it affects the material of the artifacts you find.

I will try to remember to update the thread after the trip. I frequently post my agate finds in the rocks/gems forum. Lately I've just been doing some quick hunts in my river rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions