Possibly a First Nations tool?

BL89

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could help me identify if this is a First Nations artifact or a rock with a vein of softer rock which wore away. From my amateur anylsis I would assume is has been carved. There seems to be tool marks in the the main large groove. There are also multiple other straight lines that are faint, which don't seem to have any other mineral in them.

Thank you in advance for any help. If more pictures are need I can easily snap some.

image_zpswwboz3ul.jpeg

060D913B-269F-4CF5-A888-005F7A0E26C2_zpsmo4q2qic.jpg

AD44CF91-6B01-4503-BD41-8DA5E3D0EF4D_zpscdwacj9w.jpg

8A02D520-3F61-4CB5-9991-81FCAF78BE24_zps8gy759vj.jpg

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Looks like the groove has been ground mechanically...maybe a rototool or dremel.

Cut seems too perfect in width and depth to have been made by chipping...

Native Americans didn't have actual carving tools or any means to leave tool marks...

Also the overall patina would be the same and not two-toned...

To tell you the truth, it just doesn't pass the smell test...

OP
OP
B

BL89

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was found in a fairly low traveled creek bank that I frequently take my dogs to. Was panning for gold and found it a few feet down. The two toned appearance in the second picture is caused by sand still sticking to the inside of the geoove. If not native I'm wondering how it formed? Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BL89

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found a perfectly proportioned pyramid shaped rock about 2 minutes before I pulled that out of the ground. I disregarded the rock as a freak of nature but in hindsight realized I should've probably kept that aswell. It was almost perfectly preportioned with rounded edges.

Edit:

I also should mention in the first picture set, the rock is fairly wet. I ran it under water to try and wash the sand out of the groove.

Double edit:

I doesn't seem like it could be cut with a rotary tool either. I don't think you could get the interior edges cut without going too deep in some areas. If it was machined it would have had to have been sanded because it is also to in-even to have been turned on a lathe or something similar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BL89

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png

The picture comparing it with the golf ball shows the tool markings best. But the marks look like the groove in the illustration above.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edges of groove looks like natural stone, not flaked or ground, appears natural stone made by mother nature.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure myself maybe a hard stone finder will chime in. The only thing that comes to my mind is a crude Plummet if it is a artifact. Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
B

BL89

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked like a broken bone end to me washed in rocks for a while. It would make an interesting centerpiece. Welcome to the Party. Good Luck and Happy Hunting and go back and get that pyramid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread