rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I found a new piece of pottery for my frame yesterday. This design I dont have yet. Found 2 broken points just the bases both same type just different material. The pottery dates 700 B.P. in that time frame give or take a 100 years. Its Cobb marked and is Middle Mississippian period. You can date a site by the pottery design or a point if you know how to look. I have found all periods in the area but looks like the last flood we had it washed out a Mississippian period. Maybe next time some older pieces will fall in.
Cobb Marked 600-700 B.P.

Attachments

• SDC11434.JPG
    SDC11434.JPG
    726.9 KB · Views: 99
  • SDC11431.JPG
    SDC11431.JPG
    916.8 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC11442.JPG
    SDC11442.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Rock, I have tons of pottery, but not sure where to look to date them. Can you give me some insight on where to look? If you look thru my previous posts, maybe you could help me, or I can repost them. I never thought about trying to date the pottery, but I have lots of it!! thanks:)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds rock. Haven't found any Mississippian period artifacts around here yet. Found a couple Woodland period piece's in the past. Most of the sites I hunt seem to be Early to late Archaic camps/settlement's. Looking at artifacts, the Mississippian culture made some very nice stuff. Would like to find some of those points one of these days.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock, I have tons of pottery, but not sure where to look to date them. Can you give me some insight on where to look? If you look thru my previous posts, maybe you could help me, or I can repost them. I never thought about trying to date the pottery, but I have lots of it!! thanks:)

Well this book helps and it will cover your area to. I have met the man many times that wrote it. I have given him many pieces in the past. Just google it and see if any come up for purchase. If you cant find any send me a pm and I will give you the info on where you might get one. Its a easy understanding book and has pics for each example. The book examples are mostly southern states. I really like it due to I can remember every design as to where it is from and each period of age. Have to take a pic of it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay here is the book. Each state is defined as the types and ages.

Attachments

• SDC11445.JPG
    SDC11445.JPG
    699.9 KB · Views: 71
  • SDC11447.JPG
    SDC11447.JPG
    838.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pottery marking is very interesting! I have yet to find one with that marking on it and hope to some day. Thank you for sharing it!

I knew you would like it. If you look at the center you can see where they rolled the cob all the way across. I was happy to find something worthy of the trip.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great, thanks!! I will check it out!!

Your welcome, the price was a tad bit higher than I thought it would of been after I gave him a nice piece of rare pottery for his display but I wanted the book so I paid it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you 2