HUGE Point

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on my second ever "night walk" in the creek last night with my brother and I found this bad boy! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it laying there perfectly on top of the rocks like someone just laid it there for me to find!

Does anyone know what it is and how old it might be? I kind of think it is a knife because it doesn't seem like it would be practical for it to be a spare point but I just don't know. I'd love to hear input on the type. Found in Southern Illinois..

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464622240.630630.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464622257.230074.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464622274.198717.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Google Early Ovoid Knife. That would be my guess as far as type goes. I don't know that they've ever been excavated, but most collectors consider them late Paleo or Early Archaic. Great find!

You'll see a lot of incorrect calls on those because people like calling things paleo, but most of them come from a pretty limited geographic area in Southern Illinois and a small sliver of Indiana.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the exact model but it's like a $35 rayovac that I bought from Home Depot. Thanks for the feedback. I am totally stoked about this thing and love that it might be Paleo..

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Not sure of the exact model but it's like a $35 rayovac that I bought from Home Depot. Thanks for the feedback. I am totally stoked about this thing and love that it might be Paleo..

It's definitely a great point.

Hunting at night is totally additive and I think allows you to focus in on artifacts more. I started doing it in the desert a couple of years back, and aside from being cooler temp wise, I find a lot more material.

Sooner or later you'll want to upgrade your torch, this is my zebra light, it puts out about 10 times more lumens than most D battery powered lights and uses rechargeable batteries. You look a little goofy with it strapped to your head, but the hands free and quality of light is amazing.

image.jpeg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ...... Amazing that small base didn't get broke off over the years in the creek. Iv never tried night hunting I'll have to try it out

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on a night hunt in some time. I like how the Flint just glows when the light hits it.

That is a dandy and I think Joshua nailed it. I was thinking Waller Knife, but I think he is closer with his assessment.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a dandy for sure, I like the notches at the base almost like it was tied to some cordage and hung around the neck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread