monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have gone out hunting today but after taking 2 weeks off to move in to the new home and 1 real kick tail work week, I just had to rest. So I thought this may help some of the new members on stuff they find. First we will talk about what some shapes of worked stone are and what they look like. This 1st photo is a quarry blank, you can see where it was roughed out to a shape that could be handled and carried. Notice the large flakes that have been removed, you see this in the flake scar. This artifact was found in the rock quarry so there is no doubt what it is. Artifact IDing 001.JPG Artifact IDing 002.JPG This next artifact is a finished spall it was found at the bottom of the mountain that the 1st artifact came from. It had just rolled in a creek for a few 1,000 years but yet you can still see the flake scars on the stone. Now this is JMO but I believe that the 1st artifact was mined out of the quarry then taken off the top of the mountain to a camp site where they were worked down to a much better size for transportation. By removing the extra waste of stone before taking it back for trade or to supply your tribe, would only make the trip back easier Artifact IDing 003.JPG Artifact IDing 004.JPG The next photo is of a finished spall from Texas. Artifact IDing 005.JPG Artifact IDing 006.JPG
Now lets talk of preforms and finished artifacts. The next photo is of a preform, notice the uneven edge work of the stone. Now just looking at the front view it will look like a finished artifact but it is not. Artifact IDing 007.JPG Artifact IDing 008.JPG The next photo is of what I call a blank, it could be used for a knife blade or it could have been waiting to be notched or it even could have been made for a cache of blades. This artifact is a creek find and the creek was rough on it, but notice the worked edge. It has been turned into a very good cutting tool, just like your knifes in your kitchen. Artifact IDing 009.JPG Artifact IDing 010.JPG Worked stone is something not hard to learn what it looks like. The next time you are in the creek or a gravel driveway just pick up a few stones and knock the edges together and you will see what man worked stone will look like after you do this a few times.

My last subject gets more stuff started than poking a skunk with a stick, but lets look at it. My next few photos are what I call artifact not's , these are items that nature made and with the human eye we put a shape to it just like when you look at clouds. This 1st photo could make someone think that this is a broken pipe, when it is just a concretion of clay mixed with a iron sediment that formed around roots. Artifact IDing 011.JPG Artifact IDing 012.JPG Artifact IDing 013.JPG This next group of photos to the untrained eye are someone just knowing that nature could not have done this, they would think this is an effigy of a animal (maybe a armadillo ) but it is just a concretion that took on this shape by water rolling it down a creek. Artifact IDing 015.JPG Artifact IDing 016.JPG The round item is clay also it is hard and heavy but it got it's shape from water flow. Believe me when you find an effigy of any type you will know it. You won't have to turn it one way or another to see the shape or form. Most of all if you find something that you are not sure of bring it home and if you don't have help that is just handy, post it on the site. When you post it do not get your feelings hurt if someone tells you 10523666_10203808287792386_4311899064491381220_n.jpg I was blessed I had someone who showed me and carried me along to hunt and taught me what is what, but I got let down also even then and this was before the internet. So if you don't have someone to help you post it along with where you found it, the area, field , creek and with good photos from different angles. Also read has much on artifacts as you can, look at photo's, but pay close attention to the details of what you are trying to study. Good Luck and Happy Hunting because this is one of the best hobby's you can have.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread