rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went back to the new property which I am naming it "Quartz Creek" for future hunts. The person there said they had seen a bear a few days ago :sadsmiley:. So of course I went anyway up the creek but had my trusty pistol loaded and ready just in case. I was trying to take a pic of a find with my phone and all of a sudden a dead tree fell. I bout jumped out of my boots but didnt hear anything after it fell so it was just for me. I was jumpy from then on but did manage to find probably the only flint triangle out there so far and everything else is quartz types. Hope I dont get spoiled cause I found all of this in 2-3 hours. To hot to walk further I will save it for next trip.
HH, rock

Attachments

• SDC11496.JPG
    SDC11496.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are preforms from what I can tell

Attachments

• SDC11502.JPG
    SDC11502.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this big boy is crude but has work on both edges I will be on the lookout for more might be a preform to.

Attachments

• SDC11503.JPG
    SDC11503.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 106

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find's Rock and don't worry about the bear, they will hear and smell you long before you see them. They won't bother you unless you get to close to their cubs. In my state if you shoot one you had better have some claw marks and bites on you.:laughing7:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You mention you had a pistol. It had better be a big one, even for our little black bears. Wound them and you better be able to fly. My sister lives in Montana, has grizz around often, hikes religiously in Glacier National Park (her neighbor), and only carries bear spray. She says she only hikes with people she knows she can outrun. Suggest you do the same...

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you mentioned bears I have a story about one here but on the other side of the county from me, closer to Lake James. A lady does yoga on her patio outside in warm months and was fully into it when one sniffed, licked and left :laughing7: In your first pic I have one I found last year almost identical except it still has it's base, thick and crude but obviously a point of some kind. All are good finds!

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
very nice finds Rock!! looks like that new ground will hold some future treasures for you. I hope you find many more good ones. HH.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was exciting as well as scary but the urge to find another was more than any wild animal even though I kept my eyes peeled for anything moving. Heck I didnt even see a snake I did however hear one as I was picking up the triangle. There was a huge rock with a gap under it and I heard a faint rattle coming from under the rock. I didnt stay there long to say the least. Now on the bears if I ever see one I dont dare shoot at it and I never said I would if you read what I wrote. If I had to put 1 or 2 in the ground its very loud and might scare something away I would hope. We have cougars out there to which isnt legal to shoot but nothing wrong with making some loud noise. I did hear what sounded like a womans voice up on a hill but couldnt make out the words. No women out there believe me Im sure I was the only human for miles. The land track is 550 acres and lots of caves which Im not going looking in either I dont want anything looking back at me. There is still many miles of creek to walk and I am making landmarks in my mind as to where I find the nice looking rocks, thanks

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I like that last piece, good find.

Sounds like a decent place to carry a pistol. It's not going to stop a black bear in his tracks, but I'd rather have it than not if it one were charging me...

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to the owner today and he said there is a bear that lives in the area but he said it was more like a pet than a threat and wouldnt bother me. I hope he doesnt see me as having a treat for him and come running, lol. But the owner said I need to go further upstream cause there is much more to see. Ive been walking about 1 acre a trip looking at everything as I go. Quiet is the best part and relax is the 2nd finding a point is on the list but its not the main reason I go. Cant never put a price on fun I just enjoy it all.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now on the last piece what is everyones thoughts on it? Its thick but has been worked on and thinned on the edges. Its very creek worn and stained. It shows some work but as far as flaking goes on the faces I dont see any just the edges. I couldnt get a good pic of it to show the work what little work is on it anyway. Its a big piece of quartz and was in the middle of some cobbles in the current. They only reason I picked it up was the color was different from the other cobbles. I have found so many like that this year just happen to see a different color, actually half of my finds this year has been like that. Thanks, rock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to the owner today and he said there is a bear that lives in the area but he said it was more like a pet than a threat and wouldnt bother me. I hope he doesnt see me as having a treat for him and come running, lol. But the owner said I need to go further upstream cause there is much more to see. Ive been walking about 1 acre a trip looking at everything as I go. Quiet is the best part and relax is the 2nd finding a point is on the list but its not the main reason I go. Cant never put a price on fun I just enjoy it all.

Rock
Never ever trust a Black Bear the ones that are used to humans are the worst threat. A grizzly sees you as a threat a black bear sees you as a meal. More noise the better if he approaches. The last one looks like a preform which I like because you can study the work. They themselves are good artifacts. I keep every one. I found a really nice unifaced Knife today kicking around a few flakes as I was talking to a farmer.:hello:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the owner will let you dig around the caves. Either way still looks like you'll pull a bunch more out just from the creeks. Like Tnmountians said you'll be better off making a good bit on noise the surprising a mommy bear with cubs.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back out there unless I want to walk a mile from the entrance where I have to park. There is still another creek I have gotten permission to look in so I might hit that one while Im waiting. I have to ask cause I dont know but what month of the year do bears have cubs? I know in the hot months the bigger animals will move to the creeks cause its cooler and the water source is better. Which will be June-August for us. Maybe I can take a friend next time out but I sure will hate sharing the finds. He can walk a area in 5 mins when it takes me 30

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you in Rock? Just curious. Bears have Cubs with them now by the way.

Im in N GA and the creek is in the foothills area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread