Hunting Indian Artifacts in Minnesota(?)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know next to nothing about Indian artifacts but I pop into this part of the forum once in a while to see what people are finding. My question is.. Is there a possibility of finding artifacts; arrow heads, banner stones etc. in almost any Minnesota field? Or not at all? I haven't been in this section a lot as I said so I haven't noticed any Minnesota specific hunters or threads. I am curious though. :blackbeard:

Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure, but I would think so. The type of Indians that may have been in your area, would most likely have fished. If it were me, first I'd look into local history, then hit the beach area's.
You know, a lot of tribes migrated with the weather.
Come to think of it, we still do! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know next to nothing about Indian artifacts but I pop into this part of the forum once in a while to see what people are finding. My question is.. Is there a possibility of finding artifacts; arrow heads, banner stones etc. in almost any Minnesota field? Or not at all? I haven't been in this section a lot as I said so I haven't noticed any Minnesota specific hunters or threads. I am curious though. :blackbeard:

They were all over Minnesota so there is very good chance of finding Indian artifacts in the fields..

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter is absolutely correct. There were a number of indigenous tribes that lived in the Great Lakes area, including Minnesota. There should be lots of potential sites. A little research and a few permissions might really pay off.
HH
dts

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good chance you could find some copper culture stuff with a metal detector

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minnesota is one of the states I don't have a lot from in my states collection, but here are the few I have. I have seen some very fine pieces comes from your state. Ask around and see if you can get permission to walk some fields near rivers or streams and you should have some luck.

Attachments

• 2016-05-19 20.07.31.jpg
    2016-05-19 20.07.31.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 422

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search in Minnesota but I have not had much luck so far. Don't let that discourage you, there are definitely places where things can be found I just haven't found the right place yet in the two places I have permission so far. As Grim Reaper mentioned try and get permission to search some fields near rivers and streams. If you do make some finds I encourage you to share them here. I would really like to see some more Minnesota stuff. :)

You might enjoy these artifacts that are on display at the Beaver Bay rock shop on the North shore of Lake Superior, pic on this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...facts/479241-artifacts-display-rock-shop.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to search based on conditions thousands of rears ago. Camp sites required fresh water, food sources and shelters. I found site in Missouri that had bluffs on 3 sides to protect them from the cold winds of winter, natural spring fed creeks and streams that emptied in to a river as a water source, springs didn't freeze over and still surrounded with natural forest for food supply and it contained hundreds and hundreds of artifacts.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I know of several areas where farm land surrounds lakes and rivers so the next logical step would be to get permissions to walk/hunt these places. I had plans to ask about metal detecting already. I guess the beauty of finding a field to hunt for artifacts is that you can go back year after year and have the possibility to find pieces after the ground is ploughed. I'm a bit of an 'eagle eye' so I like the challenge of making some field finds no matter how big or small. This is all new to me so I best educate myself on what exactly I'm looking for prior to setting out for a hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also like to see a glossary of terms that are thrown around in this section of the forum. Preferably with photos.. If anyone knows of one it would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Owatonna has a great show featuring great local artifacts. Check it out next spring.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
It never hurts to talk to farmers and ask about arifacts in the area. Sometimes the farm has been in the family for generations and the current farmers know whether there are any artifacts to be found, as great-grandpa used to pick them up when he plowed using horses or oxen. When seeking permission, emphasize that you are a surface-only collector and you are strictly a hobbyist. Most folks don't want "test pit" type excavations and many are concerned with the ramifications of gov't officials declaring their land an archeologically significant site. It always helps to offer to show the land owners what you have found and to offer some of your finds to them.
HH & GL
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread