More on Trade Beads

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a little more information on trade beads. The first photo I've posted before, it's some beads I found when a young boy. At the beginning of WWII the Army put emplacements along the coast of California. We lived near Avila Beach, and in the summer time Mom would take us to the beach to swim. It just so happened that one of the Army's emplacements was in the middle of an ancient Indian mound, which is totally gone now, due to widening the road. But us kids would play army up there, and during those times I picked up a bunch of beads, which I would take to Mom, and she saved them. Among those beads I found three white glass trade beads, which I didn't put in the frame, but I still have them. First, here is a picture of the stone age beads I found.
beads41.jpg
The white trade beads are called "Padre" beads, supposedly because those were traded a lot by the Spanish priests that came to California first. The mission in San Luis Obispo was established in 1772, missions further south were even before that. San Luis Obispo is 13 miles from Avila Beach, so the odds are that those white glass beads were traded by the early Spanish. Beyond that I had an uncle who in the late 20's, early 30's was on a survey crew working for the power company. They went into existing lakes in the high country of the Sierra Nevada mountains and dammed up the outlets of the lakes so that they would store considerably more water for their hydro electric dams down stream. He found the beads in the next picture in the area of one of their camps in the Northern part of the Sierra range.
beads33.jpg
All told, he found over 300 White Padre beads, and darn near a 100 of the red beads. Some of the red beads are two layer beads, with a greenish glass on the inside, brick red outside. The others, probably more than half are solid red, and I'll go out on a limb and call them "Red Padres." I know for a fact that there are Blue Padre Beads.
beads16.jpg
Out of all those beads he found, only one was a white heart. Which is the red bead in the center of the second picture.
Now you can see from the pictures that the Padre Beads are larger. There are also white beads that are very small. The smallest beads are called "Seed Beads," while ones slight larger are called "Pony Beads." The seed beads and pony beads all come in all sorts of colors, I just only have white ones.
beads17.jpg
The above are seed beads, note how many it takes to cross the dime. The next picture shows "Pony Beads."
beads39.jpg
Note the larger size. Pony is the size of a wooden keg, and these beads were shipped in Pony Kegs, which is supposedly why they are called "Pony Beads."
Next is a photo of both pony and seed beads. These beads are from the Eastern Seneca Indians, and were found in the 1940's, in Livingston County New York, having been screened from a plowed field, and were sent to me as a gift.
beads34.jpg
This post is getting picture heavy, so I think I'll end with two more pictures of Padre beads, and then start another and final post. Pi9ctured below are white and blue Padres.
white padres.jpg
padres.jpg
Notice the heavy grass cord that they are strung on. That's a dead giveaway that they came from Africa.
I have no idea why the computer decided to stick those last two pictures on below the padres, but on my screen they are huge enlargements, and it shows the white heart bead really well.

Attachments

• beads22.jpg
    beads22.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 65
  • beads21.jpg
    beads21.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The second to last picture is supposed to be the second picture in the post, to show the white heart in the center of the picture. Don't understand what I did to screw up this poor computer, but it's no doubt my fault. Anyhow, I think it's really interesting that out of all the beads, there is only one white heart, so at least in that location they were sure rare.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection of beads and great info.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosonMate You have one fine bead collection . Are the drilled abalone shell artifacts from California ? very nice .

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't believe how many you have....what an amazing collection! I've only found one in all the years I've tramped the outdoors. Found it in a pile of obsidian chips at an old Indian campsite.
Jim
P7230008.JPG P7230009.JPG P7230012.JPG

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your red beads with the green centers are an earlier version of the white heart, sometimes they are referred to as "green hearts", or "cornaline d'aleppo". More common on the west coast, I've read that they predate the white hearts by about 100 years. But there's a lot of misinformation out there.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your red beads with the green centers are an earlier version of the white heart, sometimes they are referred to as "green hearts", or "cornaline d'aleppo". More common on the west coast, I've read that they predate the white hearts by about 100 years. But there's a lot of misinformation out there.

Thanks, I knew the cornaline d'aleppo, but couldn't remember how to spell it, and was having trouble remembering the full name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions