Need Help on Two Pieces, One Possibly Paleo.

Arsenal

Jul 13, 2016
Austin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my second post so apologies for any unknown missteps taken. I have two pieces that are driving me nuts. The first is a tool/scraper/scoop/knife that is Uniface. None of my friends are expert by any means and when something is Uniface they all scream Paleo but I have my doubts.

I found it kayaking the San Marcos River buried deep in a sand bar that the rains had done a number on, leaving some nice surface scores. I have a hard time grasping that I found a tool in this nice of a condition on top of a sandbar and it could be Paleo?? Any thoughts would be great.

The second, smaller piece if a broken piece of ??????????. It has me perplexed. It was also found kayaking on the surface.

Thank you very much in advance.

DSCF8152 (2).JPG

DSCF8158 (2).JPG

DSCF8172 (3).JPG

DSCF8175 (2).JPG

DSCF8180 (2).JPG

DSCF8184 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second one looks like a paddle drill

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're in Austin, check with UT anthro dept. for ID. I think it's a scraper, possibly paleo(there is so much between Wumberly and the area you found that). But I'm just guessing. The T shaped piece is either a paddle drill OR, if it is not stone but plastic or rubber, it's an outboard motor pull cord. Either way, you found a good area to hunt. Don't ignore the banks, Just watch out for snakes and angry landowners...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willjo nailed the paddle drill the other could be a knife if there is small flaking or signs of it being sharpen for use on the edge or it could be just a large flake. Better photos of your first item would help, either way they are good finds.:thumbsup: Welcome to T-net:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread