A couple pottery shards from the creek today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hotter than blue blazes and not much rain up here to wash the creek so hunting is very challenging but thought I would go to the spot I've been raking under the bank in because it's given me several neat things. Well, I get in the creek and walk downstream a couple steps and hear movement and a heavy splash and then see snake movement and it comes up like a black racer but it has the head like a water snake, then I knew I had to find another place because I don't think they like to share their spot. So I yelled at it and threw a couple big rocks for good measure, I know that was silly but it pissed me off :tongue3: And wanting to hunt I just stayed where I was and raked around in there and one of it's babies shows up but moves on...guys I'm infested this year with them dammit!

Long story short it was a good decision to stay put and I found 2 shards. The first one is back and front of a rim that looks like a check stamped piece and the 2nd one is either cord marked or fabric impressed I think.

WP_20160727_007.jpg WP_20160727_008.jpg WP_20160727_003.jpg

I also, find rocks like the ones in the pic below and wonder if anyone else finds them, I call them fakers but they look so much like something when they are wet I always bring them back to look at more closely. What do you think? Did they make things from that type of stone or is it the way it forms?
WP_20160727_001.jpg

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal how the pottery got broke so small, good for you not letting snakes run you out.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal how the pottery got broke so small, good for you not letting snakes run you out.

The creek and weather really beat the pots up and I found several glass shards there too. That's my sign though. That snake family wasn't around this spot last year and I will keep on going there so they will have to leave or die the way I see it because I'm not quitting.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
You are determined! Most of the worked stone you seek won't be in the form of obvious points. Those were a small portion of their tools. The creek has wore down your stone & pottery making them less obvious. Buried along the creek has got to be well preserved artifacts... and lots of them judging by your creek finds. Thanks for sharing.
Edit: Got a feeling you already knew all that. Hh

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they used that type of rock looks like a Basalt and also what I call black Quartzite which might be something else. I bet they are water worn just like this one I found last week made out of what looks almost like Granite. You will have to examine them real carefully I use a loop or a good magna vision glass.
So do you think the black pottery was in a pit like a boiling pot?

Attachments

• SDC11600.JPG
    SDC11600.JPG
    664.1 KB · Views: 56
  • SDC11606.JPG
    SDC11606.JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 57

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out and found some things. The stone in the second picture almost looks like gravel. In my main creek, a sewer line was laid on one side and they used a lot of common gravel in the fill process. It washes into the creek, looks like rhyolite, causes me to pick it up and say "crap".

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they used that type of rock looks like a Basalt and also what I call black Quartzite which might be something else. I bet they are water worn just like this one I found last week made out of what looks almost like Granite. You will have to examine them real carefully I use a loop or a good magna vision glass.
So do you think the black pottery was in a pit like a boiling pot?

I find them like the pic you posted too except more water worn. The black pottery I'm thinking you're probably right about the pit because it looks like the outside portion of the pot, I almost tossed it because it was similar to some stones that I pick up thinking they are pottery. I'm going back to that spot after work today and see if anything else is under the sand and bank.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pottery your finding! Someday you will find a whole pot with your true persistence. Keep it up and good luck!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out and found some things. The stone in the second picture almost looks like gravel. In my main creek, a sewer line was laid on one side and they used a lot of common gravel in the fill process. It washes into the creek, looks like rhyolite, causes me to pick it up and say "crap".

I find that darn grey and white stuff all over my creek but I think it is natural and very annoying like seeing a black leaf. I think the 1 I posted must be Limestone cause I have never found it before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread