Reworked Clovis point???

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg I found this point a while back. It is fluted and looks like it has been reworked from a large spear. I have never since found a fluted point. Could this be a reworked Clovis point? Thanks. image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's possible, but the flute could have happen when it broke?

It might be a little hard to tell in the picture, but the flute appears to be carfully knapped out. Are there any other cultures that fluted their points besides the Clovis? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If you find/study enough flint/chert debitage, you'll notice a lot of "fluting". The proper terms are channel, channel flake, thinning, reduction. Your piece has a big nasty flaw right smack dab down the center. Chances are, if it was worked by man, he was trying to get rid of that portion during the reduction process. I believe that you have a nice piece of debitage.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320 is right on target. if you will notice the part of the stone were your thumb is has never been worked down for use, but the piece of stone does show sign of man from the photo.:thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find/study enough flint/chert debitage, you'll notice a lot of "fluting". The proper terms are channel, channel flake, thinning, reduction. Your piece has a big nasty flaw right smack dab down the center. Chances are, if it was worked by man, he was trying to get rid of that portion during the reduction process. I believe that you have a nice piece of debitage.

I agree 100%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread