Question for the pros

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my second summer looking for arrowheads still no luck. I don't have any fields to search so I walk the riverbank. I came across this today could it be a big flake? I'm in Michigan so if anyone knows if it's a native material that would be awesome. I won't be heartbroken if it's just a chunk of rock but if it is something I'll keep looking in the area

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Maybe, Couple more pics would help...of all sides.
Have you tried getting permission to farms with rivers/creeks?
Here in Ohio I get about 4 yeses per 5 asks.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too hard to tell with just one image. Several of my friends find points in the creeks/rivers. Depends on what the bottom of the creek looks like tho. If it's sand you can forget about finding anything.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does look like chert, flip it over and take at least one more picture.
What part of Michigan? There are lots of artifacts lying around start knocking on those doors in likely places.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too hard to tell with just one image. Several of my friends find points in the creeks/rivers. Depends on what the bottom of the creek looks like tho. If it's sand you can forget about finding anything.

I found a Guilford point on top of a sandbar after a flash flood and a lot of pottery shards get stuck on or in sand after a heavy rain so I wouldn't rule that out entirely :wink: however, my creek is a combination of rocks of all sizes and sand. The key to sand hunting is to move it around I think and if there is glass in it there will be pottery too, if there are artifacts in that creek or river.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like chert, flip it over and take at least one more picture.
What part of Michigan? There are lots of artifacts lying around start knocking on those doors in likely places.

I'll take a pic of the other side when I get home it's just the outside of the rock. I have a place lined up for this fall the farmer said he would set me up in a good area

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It Looks like chert. And yes it could be a flake from a worked piece. If you decide to search the area some more I would bring down a sifter and poke around the water and Surrounding Land. Eventually working my way upstream if nothing is found.
Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of my time if I found that. I would prob just leave it there. This is how you learn so it's good that you took it and are asking questions. Maybe this will lead you to a good spot or maybe not!!! Good luck N HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread