OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is. The base is incredibly smooth. Can't imagine a break being that smooth. Any ideas on the type?

Attachments

• IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greenville looks right on the money. Thanks!

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see a cross section at the base. Which would seem to mean it's broken at the base. Bases are usually thinned, and not just left thick like that. So my guess is it's a distal fragment of a point. Might be 95% there, but still missing some of the base.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its a shame the very end is missing. Very hard to give a proper I.D. without it but still frame worthy.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
There is a hint of fluting. Looks paleo to me anyway. The form of this piece reminds me of a point I have that author Daniel Fox called an un-fluted Clovis, or Milnesand point I believe.

Last edited:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this point entirely different than you guys are seeing it. I could be wrong, but I've held a few points in my day. The base of the point is on the left end in the 1st picture and the right side of the point is a snap break and the tip is missing. It is not a paleo but rather a broken point. It's still a nice find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this point entirely different than you guys are seeing it. I could be wrong, but I've held a few points in my day. The base of the point is on the left end in the 1st picture and the right side of the point is a snap break and the tip is missing. It is not a paleo but rather a broken point. It's still a nice find.

ding ding you are correct and that being said I say Adena knife.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I've never seen a base re-sharpened like that. I think you guys have it backwards.

also, The fractures on both side of what you are calling the broken tip don't indicate that at all to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank y'all for all the responses. Quick question. I've zoomed in the tip (or possibly the base) from the first picture. Which is more likely to exhibit such a small, precise flaking pattern? A base or a tip?

Attachments

• adenaknife.jpg
    adenaknife.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 86

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My viewpoint of your item suggests that the base has been broken, and it appears to be somewhat water worn. My assumption is that it is unfinished paleo type point. The tip shows signs of fine flaking, but the base end still has large primary flaking, thus I would say that the base broke in the process of flaking and the knapper gave up on it.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a base re-sharpened like that. I think you guys have it backwards.

also, The fractures on both side of what you are calling the broken tip don't indicate that at all to me.

Normally a tip has that type of flaking pattern.

I can agree with both of you. From the latest close up pic, here is what I'm seeing. I see a broken blade where the left end (what I called the base) has been reworked. Perhaps when he broke the blade, he tried to salvage the point by sharpening the base to use as a cutting tool. When a Native American resharpened a point, they resharpened the length of the point but did not resharpen from the lashings to the base of the point (where it was attached). This point is only showing a reworking only under where the lashings would have been and that makes a re-salvaged point a possibility. He basically flipped the point around and wanted to use the base as the tip. I have seen that happen before. Another possibility that is gaining momentum with me is that he broke the point during manufacture and started to flip the point around but did not finish working the point.

It does not have paleo style flaking.

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this one last week in North-central Florida. Tips missing and base is snapped also. I was thinking a Stanfield which is transitional paleo to early archaic because of the flaking and form. IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread