Metal Arrow Head

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this arrow head while metal detecting on my property in Northern California.

Indians lived there and later there was a community of miners living in tents during the late 1850's.

I do know that during that transition period (1850's to 1900's), Indians utilized discarded trash from the miners to make tools.

People have also used this area up until the 1960's to hunt quail and rabbits, so this could be from any time period.

The arrow head is very thin and almost looks like it was made out of a piece of roofing or an old can.
It is not symmetrical so it was more than likely hand made. I would guess it dates to the 1850's.

Anybody remember what metal arrow heads looked like before the modern broad head was developed?
Thousands of hours detecting in the woods and I have never found any arrow tips other than modern broadheads. Kind of weird.

arrowhead.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this arrow head while metal detecting on my property in Northern California.

Indians lived there and later there was a community of miners living in tents during the late 1850's.

I do know that during that transition period (1850's to 1900's), Indians utilized discarded trash from the miners to make tools.

People have also used this area up until the 1960's to hunt quail and rabbits, so this could be from any time period.

The arrow head is very thin and almost looks like it was made out of a piece of roofing or an old can.
It is not symmetrical so it was more than likely hand made. I would guess it dates to the 1850's.

Anybody remember what metal arrow heads looked like before the modern broad head was developed?
Thousands of hours detecting in the woods and I have never found any arrow tips other than modern broadheads. Kind of weird.

View attachment 1354449

What are its dimensions?

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess it's around 1" long. It's about the size and general style of most of the obsidian arrow heads I find around here.
I think not all of the Indians were skilled or patient enough to make points with long ears, but some did.

There is a circular area rounded out at the neck where a person would tie the arrow to the shaft similar to how obsidian points are shaped.

My father has many more hours detecting under his belt than I do and he has never found a metal arrow head like this. I guess archery just wasn't popular with the white man during that time period.

I'll try and take a picture of it next to a ruler on Tuesday.

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from the ones I have seen, yours looks like the real deal. It's kind of crude but would be a killing point and a white man would have to have made his a little better, just for looks. JMO Great find and I would treat it to save it from the rust.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread