is this a core?

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
DSCF1116.JPG DSCF1125.JPG DSCF1128.JPG DSCF1133.JPG DSCF1135.JPG DSCF1138.JPG DSCF1142.JPG I photographed every angle of this one rock.
to me it looks like it has been worked. like a core piece maybe?

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That looks more like mining overburden or tailings than an ancient artifact to me. (Crushed or naturally broken rock.)

I think you are looking at the wrong kinds of rock. Most of the arrowheads I found, or saw from Idaho were made from Obsidian, Basalt, Agate or Chalcedony. Pretty, shiny rocks that flake very well. Most of what I've seen you post recently looks like granite or sandstone, which breaks, but doesn't break into sharp, controllable edges. Cores and flake tools are usually made from the same type of materials as points.

I'd spend some time looking for examples of arrowheads found in Idaho, and then train your eyes to find those materials. A local geology guide to where there are outcroppings of those materials can help, search the creeks near there and you'll find something.

Here are a couple of threads from this forum with some Idaho finds. You can also look at the Simon Cache for some variety of materials. Good luck out there, you are in a great state for relics, you just need to fine tune your search area a bit.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...lls-bead-found-bonner-county-north-idaho.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...er-arrowhead-found-rocky-mountains-idaho.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/29949-arrowhead-age-what-how-old.html

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a lot of pieces from Idaho, but here are some examples of what types of materials you need to focus on.

Attachments

• DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Idaho (3).jpg
    Idaho (3).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 62

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item is not ideal material that would be used in artifact manufacturing.

OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I live on the Coeur d'Alene Indian reservation and There really aren't a lot of places that i can pick up anything so when I go to the mountain at a budddies house I usually tromp around there and pick up odds and ends, This summer has been so busy with work i haven't even had a chance to do much looking. I have been going through the rock buckets I have and eliminating so many of my non artifacts, that when i do get to go out again I will have ample room to bring back some and have a place to put them. I sill have quite a few buckets to go through and will continue to post them if I think they may be something. I appreciate all your patience with my posts thanks guys!
Suppose to be headed out to the couer d'Alene lake tomorrow so maybe I can go to the flint beach and scope it out, I know one of these days I will have something worthy of posting1 Thanks again.

OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Joshuaream, thanks for the links I will definatly check them out. Fairfield is about 18 miles from me so there is hope at least.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Looks like a stone with natural breakage from here, followed by a serial hijackers bought stuff?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I live on the Coeur d'Alene Indian reservation and There really aren't a lot of places that i can pick up anything so when I go to the mountain at a budddies house I usually tromp around there and pick up odds and ends, This summer has been so busy with work i haven't even had a chance to do much looking. I have been going through the rock buckets I have and eliminating so many of my non artifacts, that when i do get to go out again I will have ample room to bring back some and have a place to put them. I sill have quite a few buckets to go through and will continue to post them if I think they may be something. I appreciate all your patience with my posts thanks guys!
Suppose to be headed out to the couer d'Alene lake tomorrow so maybe I can go to the flint beach and scope it out, I know one of these days I will have something worthy of posting1 Thanks again.
Good attitude that will pay off for you in the long run. Once you start finding it it suddenly appears like magic sometimes.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing better than time in the field, it's just like hunting wild game the more you do it the better you become. This is a Obsidian core from where blades were taken off till the stone became almost to small to work. blade core.jpg

OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
DSCF1236.JPG DSCF1248.JPG DSCF1253.JPG Actually, i know what obsidian looks like. I have a really cool piece here I think! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread