A box in the back of the Father-In-Laws Closet

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all !! These stone objects were found in a box in the back of the father in laws closet today... Any ideas or thoughts on these ?? Are they of any value for the in-laws ??

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0440_Edit.jpg
IMG_0439_edit.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
These Arrowheads were also in the collection.. I took a better picture of the Calf's Creek @ the bottom... I know nothing about these but someone identified that one for me.

IMG_0443_Edit.jpg
IMG_0444_Edit.jpg
IMG_0445_Edit.jpg
CC_S1.jpg

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some nice pieces- there's value just depends on the buyer. Top pestle is in the best shape. The grooved axes are always desirable - prices range. Axes are not "fine" quality but again still valuable. Look at eBay to see what grooved axes going for. Personally I would get them out of that closet and make a display for them! Thanks for sharing!

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didn't see projectile points others good give better insight on those. But again nice discovery.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have someone you trust to look all of them over, because a few a the small points look to be India or Mexico points or gem shop points what ever you want to call them. 1 fake can bring the price down on everything.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I would have someone you trust to look all of them over, because a few a the small points look to be India or Mexico points or gem shop points what ever you want to call them. 1 fake can bring the price down on everything.:icon_thumright:

Those 12 or so small points were in a small bag together, and they all looked good to me, but I would not know a gem shop point from a real one. Thank you for your input.

Anyone in Southern New England that could look over this collection ??

Paul

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are a couple of members up your way, they might be able to provide some more insight.

What I see:

Mostly common field finds from PA to NJ up through Mass, maybe someone can pin them down better. A couple of the pieces are not from there, maybe Ohio or Kentucky. The Calf Creek, I think it's a Bell point (they are related), is probably from Texas. The hardstone is probably from the same area as the points.

Assuming the Calf Creek/Bell is authentic, it's a nice point. Probably $200-$400 (if the tip is rounded and not broken, and the color is true.) You'd probably need to be in Texas at a show to get that value.

Nothing in the common points jumps out as particularly valuable, a couple might be $80-$100 on a good day, but a lot of $5 & $10 pieces.

The long roller pestle looks salvaged, it would have been a great one, but you've only got half of a great one as is. The axes are hard to find now a days, but many long time collectors have buckets of them. They'd be worth more to a local collector who wants local hardstone, if you can figure out where they came from. $10-$100. The last bell pestle almost looks like a Hawaiian Poi pounder, but I'd bet it's local with the others. It might be a $100-$200 relic on a good day, but you'd have to find a collector who likes bell pestles. (There are collectors who specialize in them.)

The last picture you posted is neat. You have everything in there from a historic gun flint back to what looks like a paleo base (200 years old to 13,000 years old.)

It would take a while to get those prices if you drove to shows, if you dumped them on eBay I'd expect to get less. If there is a young grandson in the family, I'd put them in frames in his room and see if it sparks an interest in history. Or if not and the in-laws have room for a tax deduction, they could donate them to a local historical society and probably value them a bit more aggressively.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The sharks teeth on the left look like:

Great White
Mako
Tiger
Mako
Tiger
Mako

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
There are a couple of members up your way, they might be able to provide some more insight.

What I see:

Mostly common field finds from PA to NJ up through Mass, maybe someone can pin them down better. A couple of the pieces are not from there, maybe Ohio or Kentucky. The Calf Creek, I think it's a Bell point (they are related), is probably from Texas. The hardstone is probably from the same area as the points.

Assuming the Calf Creek/Bell is authentic, it's a nice point. Probably $200-$400 (if the tip is rounded and not broken, and the color is true.) You'd probably need to be in Texas at a show to get that value.

Nothing in the common points jumps out as particularly valuable, a couple might be $80-$100 on a good day, but a lot of $5 & $10 pieces.

The long roller pestle looks salvaged, it would have been a great one, but you've only got half of a great one as is. The axes are hard to find now a days, but many long time collectors have buckets of them. They'd be worth more to a local collector who wants local hardstone, if you can figure out where they came from. $10-$100. The last bell pestle almost looks like a Hawaiian Poi pounder, but I'd bet it's local with the others. It might be a $100-$200 relic on a good day, but you'd have to find a collector who likes bell pestles. (There are collectors who specialize in them.)

The last picture you posted is neat. You have everything in there from a historic gun flint back to what looks like a paleo base (200 years old to 13,000 years old.)

It would take a while to get those prices if you drove to shows, if you dumped them on eBay I'd expect to get less. If there is a young grandson in the family, I'd put them in frames in his room and see if it sparks an interest in history. Or if not and the in-laws have room for a tax deduction, they could donate them to a local historical society and probably value them a bit more aggressively.

Thank you sir...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 12 or so small points were in a small bag together, and they all looked good to me, but I would not know a gem shop point from a real one. Thank you for your input.

Anyone in Southern New England that could look over this collection ??

Paul

Please don't take offense to what I said. I'm just going by a photo and only 3 caught my eye and gem shop points are points brought in from Mexico and India, most are made from India jasper or some other local stone from Mexico. Everything else looks good. I was just trying to help not shoot down what you have.8-)

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Please don't take offense to what I said. I'm just going by a photo and only 3 caught my eye and gem shop points are points brought in from Mexico and India, most are made from India jasper or some other local stone from Mexico. Everything else looks good. I was just trying to help not shoot down what you have.8-)

I did not take it the wrong way at all... With all of the variety I'm guessing some of these were hunted, some were acquired, and some gifted ?? Could someone mean well and have purchased him some gem shop stuff ?? We can only guess at this point... *shrug*

I'm just trying to find them all a new home and hopefully sell the collection...

Paul

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not take it the wrong way at all... With all of the variety I'm guessing some of these were hunted, some were acquired, and some gifted ?? Could someone mean well and have purchased him some gem shop stuff ?? We can only guess at this point... *shrug*

I'm just trying to find them all a new home and hopefully sell the collection...

Paul

I had some customers that drove trucks to the west coast. I asked them if they ever saw points and they said yes we see them all of the time. They brought me a bad of them the next time they were out there. Everyone in the bag were fake but I said thank you anyway so yes they could of been gifts.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice collection. I've seen a lot of grooved axes and pestles that were found in CT. That individual point pictured at the bottom is something that doesn't appear to benative to CT.

"Anyone in Southern New England that could look over this collection ??" - Try the Native American Institute in Washington, CT or the folks at Yale.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread