What would cause this

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think possibly a vine wrapped around them and they grew together. There are some small trees that look like that on my property and I've unwrapped vines from them.

OP
OP
S

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not the real pic The tree out there is only one tree and its twisted

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I read caused by tree genetics and weathering here is a quote :

"Although spiral grain is largely under genetic control, trees appear to have a spiral grain especially where needed for distribution of water when root spheres are dry at one side. Compared with straight-grained trees, spiral-grained stems and branches bend and twist more when exposed to strong wind, in this way offering less wind resistance and being less likely to break. Through the bending and twisting, snow slides down from branches rather than breaking them, but the main function of spiral grain is the uniform distribution of supplies from each root to all branches, and from each branch to many roots."

IMO not related to NA habitation

OP
OP
S

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will next time I am out there

OP
OP
S

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 trees in a triangle that grew up twisted the ones around them are them are fine Just looks weird

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some vines can wrap around a growing tree so tight that it looks like its twisted. After the vine dies the tree is left with spiral design.
Post some pics of the trees because now I want to see them haha!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are probably natural. In SW Oklahoma there were some pecan trees that grew up bent over at right angles. The Kiowas told me that Comanches did that to serve as pointers to a favorite camp site. The county did some road work a few years back and took them out though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread