Question for all you flintknappers......

Sep 18, 2011
Hi all,
OK, I need your help. I have several pieces like this, and I've always wondered either how this was done, or if this was from a specific use. To me, this looks like a flake that may have been utilized. However in the first couple of pics, there is clearly several layers of chert removed, and potentially a few specific flakes removed-intentionally.
So, for the layered pictures that I am showing you, what specific napping process made these, or is it just a natural flaking pattern?
thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like one of two things... Platform preparation or a percussion strike 'failure' where the flake just didnt go at the angle or power used... Ive seen that on ancient flakes and and on my own, for both of those reasons....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me that would be just checking to see how workable the stone was, and a failure, as I ain't that good and lazy at flintknapping. So I would take that material and heat treat it to see if that improved the workability, if there was no better material available in the area.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
X2 on what PaDirtDigger wrote. That flake is a result of percussion work and a lousy platform. I have found a bucket of flakes like that over the years. Some on the desert and some on my knapping tarp. Are you close to Michigan. The material looks like Norwood.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like one of two things... Platform preparation or a percussion strike 'failure' where the flake just didnt go at the angle or power used... Ive seen that on ancient flakes and and on my own, for both of those reasons....

I agree with PaDirtDigger, as in platform preparation to knocking off usable flakes, the knapper has to judge where to begin first, and sometimes like this he had guessed wrongly, or clobbered it at a bad angle...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread