Take A Look At This 250grams

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's heavy for its size...Extremely magnetic... And almost perfectly round/balanced.. Not to mention it is EXACTLY 250grams.
Did the natives have any type of weighing system? TIA

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe the AIs had standard weights or scales. Certainly they had volume based measurements.

Is that a rock? Not a cannonball, right?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is magnetic, it could be magnetite or hematite. Could be stream rounded. I found a corundum crystal that is exactly 300 grams, and I use a scale that is for weighing gemstones, pretty accurate, but it is just naturally that weight, as weird as that seems....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy finding the round rocks but its a very hard ID as far as saying if it was used for anything other than just tumbling down a creek bed. Nice example

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Hard to tell if it was a tool, a treasured NA possession, or just a rock. Don't see any abrasion. But I did find a very heavy hematite hammer stone this year that I haven't posted that was round, but flattened on two sides, full of iron that a magnet sticks to. Was told (at an artifact show) that it was possibly a found and utilized meteorite, but i don't think so. Did you find this in a field or creek/river bed? Good luck to you!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. Hard to tell if it was a tool, a treasured NA possession, or just a rock. Don't see any abrasion. But I did find a very heavy hematite hammer stone this year that I haven't posted that was round, but flattened on two sides, full of iron that a magnet sticks to. Was told (at an artifact show) that it was possibly a found and utilized meteorite, but i don't think so. Did you find this in a field or creek/river bed? Good luck to you!

Having collected meteorites for 30+ years, I can at least eliminate the possibility that the rock in question here is meteoritic. It's clearly not, whatever else it be......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread