Little grooved hammers.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This is the smallest I have found. A friend (the site owner) has one similar and even a bit smaller.
Anyone else have a small hammer to show?
IMG_0795.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    749.5 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Could that be a weight for a fishing seine? It looks tiny to be a hammer but I'm far from being an expert. I barely qualify as a novice. Nice piece in any case.
HH
dts

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Could that be a weight for a fishing seine? It looks tiny to be a hammer but I'm far from being an expert. I barely qualify as a novice. Nice piece in any case.
HH
dts

beings it's 3/4 groove and not fully grooved, I'm thinking hammer.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find similar items here in Pa, and usually is groups of 3... Called bolo stones. I believe it was the 3 stones tied with leather or twine of some sort and thrown at an animals legs to trip them up...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think PaDirtDigger is on to the right track. JMO it would be to small to use as a hammer/maul due to not enough weight to it and if they were using it to strike something wouldn't there be marks on the end an not so rounded.:dontknow:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most bola stones I've seen have a narrow, incised, groove that is full grooved. The groove is not typically so wide. Of course, I'm no authority, just thinking off the top. What I have not seen, in either a bola stone, or net weight, is a groove that is only 3/4. One would expect some battering on the end(s) of a hammer, unless, perhaps, it was a soft material being hammered. Maybe it was intended as a small weight, but the groove was not finished. I have found one grooved weight where that was the case....

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Most bola stones I've seen have a narrow, incised, groove that is full grooved. The groove is not typically so wide. Of course, I'm no authority, just thinking off the top. What I have not seen, in either a bola stone, or net weight, is a groove that is only 3/4. One would expect some battering on the end(s) of a hammer, unless, perhaps, it was a soft material being hammered. Maybe it was intended as a small weight, but the groove was not finished. I have found one grooved weight where that was the case....

Good observation Charl.

Bola stones are one artifact i have never heard of or seen up here...... Just saying.

Considering the variety and sizes of hammers in use today, I don't doubt for a minute the strong possibility NA's may have had a use for different sizes as well. Or if nothing else, it could have been a child's toy.

It does show slight use or wear one of the ends.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is nice thats for sure,i wish i could see more of the bola stones,as i think it is a cool weapon.not saying thats what you have though.thanks for sharing.i heard they would wrap the stones in leather to make a bola though,yours do not look like it was done.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is nice thats for sure,i wish i could see more of the bola stones,as i think it is a cool weapon.not saying thats what you have though.thanks for sharing.i heard they would wrap the stones in leather to make a bola though,yours do not look like it was done.

In which case, you really only need the right size pebble, no groove needed. Here is what I am used to seeing with stones considered bola stones. An incised groove...

image.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I know, but from what I'm seeing online of a bola the stones are secured in a sack made of gut and with that there isn't any need for a groove in the stone to keep the bola all together when swinging it around. Seems to me a stone swung with just a single rope of some kind wouldn't hold together with the G force's of swinging the bola stones around and around at high speed.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I know, but from what I'm seeing online of a bola the stones are secured in a sack made of gut and with that there isn't any need for a groove in the stone to keep the bola all together when swinging it around. Seems to me a stone swung with just a single rope of some kind wouldn't hold together with the G force's of swinging the bola stones around and around at high speed.

Charl is showing a classic bola stone. The rope would be tied through the groove and then wrapped in cross section patterns. That would ensure the stones stability while momentum built up. I've seen examples with rope being used in only the grooved section but the groove is at least 1/4" deep or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions