Choctawhatchee Incised

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two examples I have of Choctawhatchee Incised. It's a 5 sided plate that was made during the Ft Walton period in the SE and both pictures show one of the five points on each plate. The plates are rather large and the whole one I've seen was over 2 feet across. These are rims but the "bowl" of the plate begins with the incised line on the right side of each piece. These were made more often than one would think and aren't that unusual. These were surface finds.

Attachments

• Choctawhatchee Incised II.jpg
    Choctawhatchee Incised II.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Choctawhatchee Incised.jpg
    Choctawhatchee Incised.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing the Fort Walton period was specific to your area like here we have a Dallas periond during the late late Mississipian era. Very nice sherds/shards? (sp?) I like the inciced with designs.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ft Walton period is a Mississippian culture along the coast of FL that had inland settlements usually along major waterways. The Ft Walton peoples differed from their predecessors, the Weeden Island culture, in both ceramic vessel form, lithics, in social hierarchy, and mound form. My studies have shown that no inland Ft Walton period sites were located on previous Weeden Island sites in NW FL. The cultural change was dramatic and I do not feel that assimilation occurred from one culture to the next. The new replaced the old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread