rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing your pictures need to be more visible for us to see if there is any edge work on your piece. I find flake tools that only have been knocked of and then touched on the edges no flakes removed on top or bottom due to it being a flake but edges worked for cutting so not all artifacts were made to be beautiful but to be used and then tossed after the cleaning or cutting was done. Also what I do is I use a lighted loop to look for edge work if I plan on keeping it if not I just leave it or give it away. You will also find what I call test rocks where the NA actually tested the material to see if it was something worth using and if it wasnt they just tossed it. Most of your not nice artifacts were probably used only once then tossed if used at all so if you find a crude artifact with just a little work on it it might of never been used but was still touched by a NA. If thats the case it is up to you to decide if you want to keep it or not. I keep all of the flake blades I find cause I like them, rock

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Cherokee and we were one of the most advanced of the Natives. But by today's standards we were primitive in a since. Not as advanced as the European coming here at the? time. Although we help them survive and thrive here. That's why the tools and weapons are called primitive.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coosakid this is a good pdf on recognizing artifacts.

www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/archaeology/downloads/recognizing_artifacts.pdf

It gives some step by step instructions for determining particular types of artifacts and info on different categories of artifacts. I've found it to be helpful as I am new to this myself. You've found some beautiful artifacts in a short time. You must have a good eye for it!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard people say, "See how it fits the hand?" The objects that fit the hand are countless, be it an artifact, broom handle, baseball or door knob, making the human hand such a exceptional creation of Divine engineering.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip-- well said sir.

BearCreek--- Awesome Information! That helps me tremendously as I'm in the learning stages as well. Thank you.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that there are very knowledgeable members, many who have been of great help to me and eager to help me learn. Instead of posting on the forum it is often by way of private message, email, or even mentoring me in person. That is something worth thinking about. This is a forum to share a love of the hobby, not profession, of artifact hunting. I agree that you should not mislead anyone, nor do I think most people want to be mislead. I joined because I wanted to learn and obviously I'm not the only one. If you really want to be the best forum available, then perhaps you and your team should collect some data (I'm glad to help you with that) and the type of responses given to members. Especially new members. Are they statements or are they providing information the member can actually learn from. Saying it's a rock provides no opportunity for increasing the member's knowledge. If it's "just a rock" then what attributes lead you to that opinion. And it is that...an opinion. Is it similar to a particular tool or point the member could do some research on? Can you provide a visual example? Perhaps as I have suggested before, and is a feature of other top notch forums, you could put together a category for members new to artifact hunting. Include information on how to tell if it is a rock or an artifact. Add other common questions new hunters have. Or maybe this forum is an exclusive forum that doesn't have time or the passion to encourage and help new hunters learn. If so, then you should represent yourself as such.

BearCreek I completely understand what you mean. I'm not new to hunting NA Artifacts, fossils, prospecting and detecting but I am new to the Internet forums that cater to these hobbies.
One of my first posts I had problems with a certain member and it confirmed for me why I've never been part of a site before. But then there were others who showed interest and actually went out of there way and provided me with information concerning my find. Which I thought was great! I don't post most of my finds for a couple of reasons but it's mainly due to my collection is in storage and I am not moving tons of boxes and Tools ect..to get to them and mostly all of my photos of them are on memory cards which are also stored away. I still hunt almost everyday after work for over 20 years and do have quit a bit of items stored at home. " which my wife loves" I still try to be engaged with other members by commenting on there finds and giving basic information to newbies.
As far as senior members attacking newcomers I think people are taking their " it's a rock" comment to far. They mean no disrespect by saying that. It's quit the opposite, They could just say nothing at all or actually say WOW that's an awesome find! Keep picking up those artifacts and later on you'll find out they're just rocks. They take the time out of their day to let you know what you have is "just a rock" which is very nice. I know how it feels to think you found something genuine only to find out it's not. These guys have been on this site for Years!!! Think about how many times they looked at rocks from people who thought they were artifacts. Many times they are treated rudely and have things said to them which are very uncalled for just for trying to help. They don't get paid to assess people's finds. They are also on here to look at artifacts and showcase finds so after 10 years of seeing the same posts I think many of them deserve a metal for being so patient and still willing to help. As far as the lack of explanation of why it's just a rock that is part of the learning. It's not their responsibility to explain why unless they want to.
The internet can show you example after example of what stone tools & weapons look like. It's actually kind of amazing how much free info is out there. People must learn to do their own research. It's part of learning This hobby is all about boots on the ground and hands on research. I'm Not saying you can't ask questions but lots of times the questions that are being asked could easily be answered before the post is ever made. I agree that having a separate section for Newbies would help tremendously for all members but I am just a guest here and enjoy the vast amounts of information they have to offer.
Please don't think this is an attack on you personally. I'm just trying to give a different perspective and explain that the overwhelming majority of members on the site are here to help and share their passion for Historical Preservation. Happy Hunting!!!

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coosakid,

I wanted to share this with you as it may be of some encouragement... this was my first post to this forum back in 2013. You see how I rambled on paragraph after paragraph thinking that I had just discovered an amazing archeological site? Haha! Now, I was lucky enough to find some real artifacts at that time but that was pure luck.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363396

After a couple of years of studying, watching videos, talking to people, researching techniques to find artifacts, spending way more time thinking about artifact hunting and in creeks than I should and following this forum, I am in a position now where I am consistently finding pretty decent artifacts. Go back and check some of my recent finds from creeks. The point that I am trying to make is not that I am so cool because I can find artifacts but that I too was very passionate about the hobby but didn't know much about it in the beginning. In time, you are going to learn where to look and what to look for and it will be on! Just keep looking and your hard work will pay off!

Rock on and happy hunting!

BG

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mrdigz I appreciate you sharing your perspective and I don't think you are attacking me personally, we simply have different opinions on what we think the forum experience is all about and that is ok. There are many really nice members on this forum, but there are also the select few that are in simple terms...forum bullies. I've seen an abundance of these behaviors evident in responses from particular members.

1. Using personal attacks to denigrate their victims. Making fun of their victim’s intelligence, getting everyone to "laugh" at him, and in doing so isolating and degrading their target (yes, a lot of that taking place on this forum)
2. Attacking weak or new targets. ( some members are really having a field day with this one right now)
3. Hate being challenged and they hate losing. If they are challenged and they lose, it significantly erodes their power. (A lot of this taking place very recently)
4. They are in-love with themselves. They have little to no empathy, and are only interested in their own activities, and their own power. (That one too)

Isn't life tough enough? Enjoy your hobby, this isn't a competition. Be an encouragement to others, look for something positive to say. Be humble, everyone has something to offer, and just be kind.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BearCreek very well spoken. A kind hearted refreshment to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum of native American artifacts. History is also a part of knowing who made what . Knowing this will also help further their cause of helping the beginnings learn. Not know the complete story is the problem. What I'm try to say without being kick out is. My type artifacts will alway be found near or with Native American artifacts. Sometimes even displayed as Native American.
This is something that needs to be considered. I can tell the difference. Sharing this knowledge is the only way for all to learn. I'm swimming up stream here in a river of bears. I'm not weak and will not give up. God Bless those who seek.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrdigz I appreciate you sharing your perspective and I don't think you are attacking me personally, we simply have different opinions on what we think the forum experience is all about and that is ok. There are many really nice members on this forum, but there are also the select few that are in simple terms...forum bullies. I've seen an abundance of these behaviors evident in responses from particular members.

1. Using personal attacks to denigrate their victims. Making fun of their victim’s intelligence, getting everyone to "laugh" at him, and in doing so isolating and degrading their target (yes, a lot of that taking place on this forum)
2. Attacking weak or new targets. ( some members are really having a field day with this one right now)
3. Hate being challenged and they hate losing. If they are challenged and they lose, it significantly erodes their power. (A lot of this taking place very recently)
4. They are in-love with themselves. They have little to no empathy, and are only interested in their own activities, and their own power. (That one too)

Isn't life tough enough? Enjoy your hobby, this isn't a competition. Be an encouragement to others, look for something positive to say. Be humble, everyone has something to offer, and just be kind.
If you think someone is bullying or attacking a member report it, but understand, telling a member a rock is just a rock is not an attack, it is not bullying and it violates no rule.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey treasure hunter can you mark this one solved for me. I understand it's a rock, and my feelings ain't hurt... But some pretty good points have been made. Mostly Dont be a ****(insert preferred word here) to others

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If you think someone is bullying or attacking a member report it, but understand, telling a member a rock is just a rock is not an attack, it is not bullying and it violates no rule.

Exactly.

Sometimes people have very thin skin, and those people cry foul first - only AFTER they've come to a site like this and ask for advice, and it has been given.

Everyone new to this hobby wants their beloved rock to be a definite "Indian artifact," and when people who have 30+ years in this hobby tell them it isn't - well then all of a sudden the people trying to help them are "meanies."

It took me a LONG TIME to find my first point, I was very frustrated. Once I found out where to look, I started finding them everywhere. Many days I'd come home with a dozen "killers" and 30 broken points. I'm blessed to live in an artifact-rich area, but still you have to know where to look. And some of the best ones have been buried 2 feet deep and you'd never know they were under there just by walking on the surface.

I have helped many people in my area find points, but I believe in treating people like adults and not molly-coddling them. I will help and encourage them, but if they find a geofact or just a "rock" - I will at least be honest with them. Are we supposed to lie to people just to spare their feelings or something? Are people really that fragile that they can't accept the truth from the very people they have come to ask it from?

So ladies - put on your "big girl panties," and guys - suck it up and act like men when we tell you what you found isn't an artifact. If you can't handle it, then go collect Pokemon or something or go find your "happy place" until you're ready to act like adults.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record.... I never was offended or started this. Just asked a question about a rock. My big girl panties are always strapped on. With all my wonderful struggles of life, it'll take a lot more than somebody saying (it's a rock) to hurt my feelings

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you backwoods Bob. Appreciate it! Better watch that weather today, supposed to get rough

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, keep it out of this forum.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
coosa, I think ya have a good eye & I woulda picked that rock up in a heart beat ... wonderful colors ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread