• 1487439753516.jpg
    1487439753516.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 130

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is the lighting in your first picture show best. But the other show other features. Here in this state there were two groups that could be responsible for your piece. It look native but it's not. It bares the mark of the preist. In your area there were Cistercians and the French Jesuits. I'm leaning toward the French. They made plenty pieces on the native American style. It's what's on it that is important to me. The dim lighting you used in first picture are best but the angles are wrong. Once you get how it's done you will see what I mean. If your up for a little trip south. I could show you the technique. I will be in the deatsville area Monday afternoon. Let me know I would help you with it. Pm me and I will tell you more..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coosakid, it is just a natural stone, not an artifact.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offered the same to you treasure hunter. You refused. Your bud.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm addicted enough to looking for artifacts.. Think my wife might leave me if I started reading rocks... But if I ever want to take that next step I'll holler at you...

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless its a pretty sharp Rock lol.... No big deal.... But there's still a possibility... All in the eye of the beholder. You see a rock, I see a tool and Bob sees the winning lotto numbers on it. Guess I'll keep it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, lets make it simple, no more Jesuit comments in our Indian Artifact Forum. Not open for discussion or debate either.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yours is just a rock, I find them all the time, tumbled into provocative shapes, good color, but a real point or cutting tool?...you wouldn't even have to ask us.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I do have to ask,, nobody I know cares about this hobby... So I ask y'all where I want look stupid

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking questions is how we learn. Well some time that is. You don't always get the truth. But then you do you believe them anyway? When it comes to native pieces you can tell if it's a broken chip. I disagree on the shape thing. If you find the same shape over and over that is a pattern so to speak. That in itself may be something. After all that what they're looking for a shape that they are familiar with. Over time it became known to them. it was a tool or weapon. Like old bones you look for a shape of known thing and Work from there. Some see a bone other see a weapon. It all come down to training your eye and know the characteristics of your pieces . Say it's an artifact. Not their kind

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I too thought this would be a great forum to ask questions and learn. I was wrong. There are a handful of members who are very helpful and enjoy helping you learn vs others just drooling over the chance to slam someone. More often it's filled with ongoing insignificant word wars, backstabbing, petty displays of "power", and grandiose boasting of self perceived knowledge. Bottom line is, you are right. This is a hobby. It would be nice if this was a forum where you could enjoy your hobby. Keep your finds and keep on learning. I'll be glad to share some links that have been helpful to me. Happy hunting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best artifact forums on the net for indian artifacts with a lot of very knowledgeable members. With that said it doesn't help new members to learn by misleading them and that is what happens when you tell them a simple rock that happens to fit your hand is an artifact, there are trillions of rocks that fit your hand and are still just a rock, there are billions pointed rocks that are still simply rocks too.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
the best advice I can give to folks starting out is that Native Americans were skilled craftsmen...their artifacts do not look like something from the Flintstones.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that there are very knowledgeable members, many who have been of great help to me and eager to help me learn. Instead of posting on the forum it is often by way of private message, email, or even mentoring me in person. That is something worth thinking about. This is a forum to share a love of the hobby, not profession, of artifact hunting. I agree that you should not mislead anyone, nor do I think most people want to be mislead. I joined because I wanted to learn and obviously I'm not the only one. If you really want to be the best forum available, then perhaps you and your team should collect some data (I'm glad to help you with that) and the type of responses given to members. Especially new members. Are they statements or are they providing information the member can actually learn from. Saying it's a rock provides no opportunity for increasing the member's knowledge. If it's "just a rock" then what attributes lead you to that opinion. And it is that...an opinion. Is it similar to a particular tool or point the member could do some research on? Can you provide a visual example? Perhaps as I have suggested before, and is a feature of other top notch forums, you could put together a category for members new to artifact hunting. Include information on how to tell if it is a rock or an artifact. Add other common questions new hunters have. Or maybe this forum is an exclusive forum that doesn't have time or the passion to encourage and help new hunters learn. If so, then you should represent yourself as such.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unclemac are your words encouraging or humiliating?

Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true. It only takes a little studying their work. It different versions. They have to start somewhere. A rock can be just a rock. Not all rock are the same. There are some worked by the indigenous people and those of another group. Knowing the difference will solve the problem. That is the problem between the two. There are some of us that know the difference between the indigenous working ,other culturally advanced works and then you have of course the natural formation. It's not bad information to help understand the difference. It is to deny the opportunity to learn. There is room for all. That would benefit all involved. One can learn the difference
The culturally advanced ones can masterfully create the indigenous type. But not the other way around. Which is to say I have seen this over time.the cult Pieces being passed off as indigenous when in fact they were not. Not to say the ones passing them were at fault. Even the experts can't tell. The reason is they themselves have no idea of this trend. The culturally advanced ones are masters of the stone. Their work is superior. Not to say the indigenous were not good at it. They truly were. We all can and will over time know the difference. Please read and educate yourselves. Don't take one view on anything without exhausting other leads.
Thanks and have a good day

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
neither...just a statement to remind folk that Native peoples were in no way primitive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread