Worked Stone Found Metal Detecting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, yesterday after work, I spent a half hour detecting at a location where Indians historically camped.
This particular site was also later occupied during the 1860's as evidenced by the square nails and misc. tin scraps laying everywhere. Not sure if it was by indians or miners.

Long story short, I got a signal on what we call "hot rocks", which is basically a rock that is significantly more mineralized than the surrounding soil.

It was so loud, I decided to see what type of rock it was.
DSCN1303.JPG

Turns out it had been worked, evidenced by the ground flat face (right side). The adjacent face (left side) has been struck about 7 times and lightly ground smooth.
Not sure why they were trying to shape the rock there. I'm sure the rock broke while they were working/using it and they tossed it aside.

DSCN1301.JPG

DSCN1302.JPG

The material is not particularly strong, but is very abrasive.

Not that big of a deal, but kind of neat that I found it metal detecting. I'm sure many will say...sorry just a piece of broken rock (because it's not obvious)...but location is key. I'm going to go back tonight to see if there are any more hot rocks that might turn out to be something good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seeing any signs it was worked by man.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I have a creek I am allowed in by the owner and one day I went to launch my yak and it looked like a big pile of debitage on the bank. I sent a pick of it to the owner. He knew just where I had found it and told me that back in the early 1900s his grandfather had been hunting for lime and had a bunch of miners working for him getting the minerals out of the area. He said it was leftovers from them. I think your rocks are the same type of thing not Native American but leftovers from mining from the past. They do look close if you dont know the history of the area.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually very familiar with the history of the area (since it's on my property).

You guys are right..I'm stretching things a bit. I still believe the face was ground smooth for some reason, but a smooth flat face does not make it an artifact.

I will be posting up pictures of something more interesting next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread