A fantastic saturday!

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me, my wife, 3 kids and my mother went digging yesterday and had a great day.
Particularly the round rocks, they are perfectly round with exception of one and they were found together. Size slightly larger than a quarter.
Everything came from a 15 x 15 area.
IMG_4063.JPG IMG_4064.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt by your family. It doesn't get much better than that. Hunting with family and finding some great artifacts make for a awesome day.

It looks to be a Woodland site. I'm sure people will say the round stones are Gamestones, but I think they were weapons like Mace Heads or Bolo Stones.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading a story in Archaeology Magazine about Pueblo Mesa sites where they found large Caches of round stones of various sizes that they say were used as weapons to fight back invaders.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the colors of the round stones! Sounds like a great day for all!

OP
OP
PullTabSlayer

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the 2 colored ones are quartz but to be 100% honest I don't know one rock from another. The others appear to be the natural color of the stone they used.
My mom found the round stones, I bet she is still grinning :-)
I cant believe how close in color the green one is to yours.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the 2 colored ones are quartz but to be 100% honest I don't know one rock from another. The others appear to be the natural color of the stone they used.
My mom found the round stones, I bet she is still grinning :-)
I cant believe how close in color the green one is to yours.
Yup, they could be brothers!!!! I have already sent mine off for authenticity,C.O.A. and use explanation. I now have it back in hand. Even though it was a personal find,i always have my artifacts appraised and authenticated for value purposes. Yours IMO is the exact same. Do you have a scope to look at it? P.M. me if you would like and we could talk on the phone as well if you like. much respect, Mogi

Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds the brown one in the first picture.The one that looks like a half a donut...that maybe a broken perforated weight....do the balls fit in those little pots by any chance?...

OP
OP
PullTabSlayer

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the round rocks does fit in the pot thing, the others are to big. Figured the pot was for grinding? Had no idea on the doughnut but fishing weight makes since as the area is on a high spot within 200 yards of a small river.
My mother just text me, forecasting thunderstorms tonight, when are we going out again :-)

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you decide where to start digging?

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About how far down do you dig. I've only surface hunted but know a couple of places that has lots of flakes and pieces wash up every time it rains. Always wander what's still buried

OP
OP
PullTabSlayer

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part only 2 or 3 inches down.
I have been picking up artifacts from this spot for years, always wanted to dig below the surface but just hadn't got around to it.
When I finally did, I used the shovel I use for metal detecting, slowly pushed it in the ground so I could feel if I hit anything, I cut a large plug, flipped it over and started running it through my sifter and I found 5 broken arrow heads and one large artifact I don't know what it is, all in that one shovel full.
I stopped right there, I didn't dig anything else until I could bring the whole family in on it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread