Americain Indian Metal Artifacts - Has Anybody Picked up Them?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Kettle points appear on here from time to time. I guess the natives cut up cooking pots and made points out of them

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anybody been lucky to pick up American Indian metal artifacts? How do they really look like?
I failed to find threads with subject finds... Pls point me where I can read about them?!

:hello:

Yes, I've found many ancient copper artifacts: spear points. knives, beads, bracelets, etc.
Like 1320 said, Copper Culture and Old Copper Complex are good for northern copper, and research Spiro, Moundsville, Etowah, Cahokia, Cemochechobee and Lake Jackson Mounds for Southern Cult Mississippian era copper.
For newer stuff, 300-800 BP, Kaskaskian copper was traded, and was presumably made from "kettle copper", repurposed into Indian art.

OP
OP
SuchMuch

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is Copper Culture another name for Bronze Age?

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Is Copper Culture another name for Bronze Age?
No, it was an era where the use of copper by certain demographics of NAs was prominent...also it was strictly copper, not bronze which is an alloy of copper.
Also the 'Bronze Age' is mostly centered/referring to Europe.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After contact with the Spanish, the southern plains tribes quickly adapted to metal points, and greatly coveted any metal utensil. Comanche were foremost in this, and I doubt that very few of them were chipping points out of rocks after about 1800. The historic tribes engaged in a lot of trade with the French, Spanish, English, and Comancheros, who provided an assortment of metal goods. At historic sites I've found pieces of kitchen utensils, horse harness, bullets, etc., that were 'indian artifacts'. As far as arrowheads, the soil in that area was very acidic, but I did find one iron scrap that with a little imagination you could suppose was a trade or homemade point.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found from the post contact era. It's a copper point made from a trade item. Found by me in S.W. Ms. copper point.jpg

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Some copper culture (old copper complex) from Ontario, Canada. If you google it you will find many opinions on the subject, but it's a long lost culture without written history. All that's left is their cold hammered copper. Some ppl from the Western great lakes region literally have boxes of this stuff.

Attachments

• 1489078192728.jpg
    1489078192728.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if these are what you are looking for, but I have found a trade point, a chap end and some kind of silver ring, maybe some kind of earring? Does this count?

Attachments

• 1489092882718.jpg
    1489092882718.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 99

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No, it was an era where the use of copper by certain demographics of NAs was prominent...also it was strictly copper, not bronze which is an alloy of copper.
Also the 'Bronze Age' is mostly centered/referring to Europe.

...and the bronze age in Europe was preceded by their own Copper age....

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are from SW Georgia. Their here but, few and far between.

Attachments

• Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 83
  • Copper Points - Lee County Georgia.jpg
    Copper Points - Lee County Georgia.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Has anybody been lucky to pick up American Indian metal artifacts? How do they really look like?

Central Great Plains

I have hunted number of historic village sites and camp sites in the central Great Plains and adjoining High Plains region. The village sites are much more productive in metal artifacts than the campsites which saw intermittent use. When hunting historic village sites you get a much better idea of how resourceful the NA’s were at recycling trade good items.

The historic Plains tribes became very adept at making their own metal arrow points, some tribes more so than others. I have seen Cheyenne made examples (High Plains region) that look nearly as good as blacksmith made points. The below two pictures consist of points I have found on Plains village sites and demonstrate quite a variation in styles made by the same group of people.

The first picture is of NA-made iron points and the second picture is of NA-made brass points. These points were made from recycled trade goods.

Attachments

• NA_BrassPts.jpg
    NA_BrassPts.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 95
  • NA_IronPts.jpg
    NA_IronPts.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 89

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Central Great Plains

I have hunted number of historic village sites and camp sites in the central Great Plains and adjoining High Plains region. The village sites are much more productive in metal artifacts than the campsites which saw intermittent use. When hunting historic village sites you get a much better idea of how resourceful the NA’s were at recycling trade good items.

The historic Plains tribes became very adept at making their own metal arrow points, some tribes more so than others. I have seen Cheyenne made examples (High Plains region) that look nearly as good as blacksmith made points. The below two pictures consist of points I have found on Plains village sites and demonstrate quite a variation in styles made by the same group of people.

The first picture is of NA-made iron points and the second picture is of NA-made brass points. These points were made from recycled trade goods.

those are awesome, especially the brass ones

Coyote Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My farm is about a mile from an old cavalry fort that was commissioned in 1867, I find lots of old military brass mostly 45/70 and 50/70 from the troopers that were shooting bison for rations, and on the rare occasion I find a copper arrow head made from a cooking pot, they were made to the scale as the stone heads. P1000490 (1024x549).jpg

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I've not found any but have read several accounts of Plains Indians making them from wagon wheel rims. Good luck.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron points are mostly made from barrel hoops (strapping) and were made at fur trade posts/forts by traders or made by the Natives themselves.
I'm not even going to post what I got because it would take a long time but I did happen to take this photo a few weeks ago for a friend.
These are all from one site.....

P1140454.JPG

You can tell some of the Native made ones as they follow ancient styles that you would find with archaic copper.

P1140459.JPG

This site only contained a few kettle points (at top of first photo) and the rest iron but luckily the soil was very kind to these.
I've got more info to add to this thread at a later date.
Good topic! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread