✅ SOLVED Dalton? Unfluted Clovis?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1944.PNG
    IMG_1944.PNG
    770.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep looking when somebody responds hoping a I.D. will be given but I havent seen it yet. I still think its a Dalton myself but a real good one very eye catching color.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep looking when somebody responds hoping a I.D. will be given but I havent seen it yet. I still think its a Dalton myself but a real good one very eye catching color.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to know what it is. The huge flat flake on the back of it is so unusual and the flaking is so beautiful the pictures just can't capture the fine detail. The other points I have found near it are each so different.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats okay it means your property is very desired and has been for many moons. All periods have lived there. This year I think I have found 1 from each time frame and I usually only stay in my area for looking so it was a good area here to. Fresh water and a good food resource

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats okay it means your property is very desired and has been for many moons. All periods have lived there. This year I think I have found 1 from each time frame and I usually only stay in my area for looking so it was a good area here to. Fresh water and a good food resource
Maybe someone will know at the artifact show tomorrow. I've never been to one so not sure they do identification, but I am looking forward to seeing all the artifacts on display.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone will know at the artifact show tomorrow. I've never been to one so not sure they do identification, but I am looking forward to seeing all the artifacts on display.

it sure was nice of you to come and I got to hold it in my hand. Very nice find for your 1st.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it sure was nice of you to come and I got to hold it in my hand. Very nice find for your 1st.
It was amazing to see all the artifacts! Congratulations on your award! Your collection is fabulous - still love that tiger stripe and that celt is killer!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. That is something there. Can't help with ID but looks late or transitional paleo imo. Outstanding

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations. That is something there. Can't help with ID but looks late or transitional paleo imo. Outstanding

Thank you DigIron! I feel really grateful to have found such a beautiful point! The archaeologist looked at it at the artifact show I just went to and I was excited to find out it is a dalton. It is mind blowing to think about people camping, making points, hunting and enjoying the same land I live on, but 10,000 years ago...and that point is in perfect condition. Just wow!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you DigIron! I feel really grateful to have found such a beautiful point! The archaeologist looked at it at the artifact show I just went to and I was excited to find out it is a dalton. It is mind blowing to think about people camping, making points, hunting and enjoying the same land I live on, but 10,000 years ago...and that point is in perfect condition. Just wow!

Good to see you posting again and glad you're finding out definitively the point types. I know what you mean about 10,000 years ago, because I was told that by our local archie about the one in my avatar (Palmer, 9,000 to 10,000 years old transitional Paleo/Archaic) that I found in my creek. I'm still hoping one of those elusive Clovis points will show up one day :laughing7: HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to hear something on it as the age. Now at the next show ask again you might hear something else. Dont just decide on 1 person I always try 3-5 people and if I get 3 the same I go with that. Sometimes I hear 5 different answers then I just decide its a mystery point ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread