Oregon arrowheads - beginner

Hydrophilic

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, first post here. I've been lurking for a year or so as I keep myself busy with a lot of outdoor activities such as gold panning and fossil hunting...in between fishing and hunting seasons!

I've recently started looking for arrowheads and it has been really fun. Haven't found a lot yet so I'm wondering about the best methods to research potential sites? I don't have a problem putting miles on the boots but I do have a problem narrowing down potential locations to start. Not really sure which tribes lived where, or how to read the land and predict where they may/may not have been. So far I've been walking creeks but I'm not sure I'm in heavy use areas. Websites or books would be great, so would advice from experienced hunters.

I currently spend my time between Portland and central Oregon. Feel free to PM! Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with ur area but I'm sure the same tactics apply ... I personally do not have very good luck in creeks I believe that's due to the landscape has changed so
Much over the years however a few things I usually look for in fields or shorelines is small chips from flaking / knapping points. I took a few pics as an example they don't look like much but anytime I see them I know I'm in a good area. Larger rivers are always good as most camps were focused around a good water supply and if there are plowed fields around them even better. There's some really amazing material and types of points out ur way hopefully you will find them and if you do deff. Post them. Good luck to you ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494730069.356334.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494730080.187839.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494730089.988218.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494730100.328061.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hydrophilic

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response arrow!

Last edited:

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First thing to do is find out the what the Oregon laws are. Here in Washington, we are limited to only surface collecting on private property (with written permission).

OP
OP
H

Hydrophilic

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen a hairy arm with a boo boo artifact. This is a first! 8)

Hey! That bugger hurt. I hate ticks.

As far as the law - I'm not a grave looter like many arch teams are. I'm just a guy that wants to look at arrowheads laying on the surface, so I'd prefer not to take this thread any other direction than my initial questions.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scraper looks like a scraper to me- I was in Oregon for a long time, but never hunted artifacts there. Wasn't into it at the time.

But what I have found is that flat spots along major rivers (like the columbia) would be good places to look.

Looks like you have already found a good place...In my experience points can be found right in the same place of the flakes etc. Not sure why exactly...it does seem strange, but I guess you would camp near where you hunt, and fish, and also we are looking at areas that could have been occupied for thousands of years.

Where you found those flakes, and tools...go to the low point where water may have pushed thin pieces. I have found things pushed down right onto major roads. Good luck

There are beads to be found by the Columbia river "Columbia River Trade Beads" Very cool stuff...

Your mention of a "spring" reminded me of this story I read a while back....

Stash of Obsidian Blades, Hidden for a Thousand Years, Discovered in Oregon ? Western Digs

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the people that lived in your area, but in SW Oklahoma there's evidence of prehistoric human occupation in every mile along the major creeks and rivers. Generally, on the second terrace back from the waterway. A lot of the earliest people there were farmers, and pretty much used the same places modern day farmers use. Where two creeks run together is also a good spot, because that's usually a guaranteed water source. More into historic times, they liked to camp where the river formed a loop or peninsula, cause that was more defensible. Where I live now is a whole different ball game. Lot of paleo occupation, and it seems they tended to live higher up above the valleys, cause it was warmer. Same sort of camp area I pick in these days. Once a good camp site, always a good camp site. Hope that helps a little.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and me have hunted for close to 40 years. Our advice......find another hobby. We use to be able to surface hunt State land.....meandering only, no systematic or stripping. Now, State land is no artifact hunting, period. Private land is okay with permission, but no digging without State issued permit. I guess "they" just want all those nice artifacts to go uncollected or broken by animal hooves. Oregon is getting to be worse than California.....>:(

OP
OP
H

Hydrophilic

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TC. I've only been on private land so far. Oregon is out of control. I don't know why people now a days like this type of government.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess "they" just want all those nice artifacts to go uncollected or broken by animal hooves. (

We will take your land. We will take your children. We will take your culture. We will take your lives. We will not take your rocks. You're welcome. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
H

Hydrophilic

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but, if you've paid 2,000,000 for an undergrad arch degree.....then we'll take your rocks, too....B*tches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread